How can I get to dive in Monterey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ulrikakroon

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi!
I'll be in SF in June and having never dived in CA (but certainly other cold places...) I'd love to see the kelp in Monterey. And whatever else is there.
The thing is I have no idea how diving is organized there - I'll be on my own and bring almost no equipment. Do I sign up for a day-trip on a boat including equipment? Or do I contact a dive shop and do shore dives?
How much would it cost and can you recommend any operators?
Thanx!
Ulrika

ulrikakroon:
Hi!
I'll be in SF in June and having never dived in CA (but certainly other cold places...) I'd love to see the kelp in Monterey. And whatever else is there.
The thing is I have no idea how diving is organized there - I'll be on my own and bring almost no equipment. Do I sign up for a day-trip on a boat including equipment? Or do I contact a dive shop and do shore dives?
Thanx!
Ulrika

Hi,

I'm assuming you're going to have a car - Monterey is a good 2+ hour drive from SF, so you'll need one to get there.

There are plenty of great shore dives as well as several options for chartering boats. If you're going to shore dive, you may want to post your dates on the board to see if you can find a dive buddy to show you around. Several of the dive shops in Monterey also offer a rent-a-divemaster type service. I did this my first time in Monterey and thought it was a great way to get familiar with the area (it was about $80 for my own private divemaster and 2 tanks). Also, at least a couple of the dive shops (Bamboo Reef, for one) have periodic organized dives where anyone is welcome to show up and dive.

Sorry if I'm rambling a bit. Your best bet would be to call one of the local dive shops (or check out their website) to explore your options. I use Monterey Bay Scuba Diving and think they're great, but I think almost all of the shops down there will give you good service.

Oh, and if you're going to be diving during the week, or if you've still got a bit of time before your trip, consider diving at Point Lobos. I have yet to make it down there (you need to book reserverations several weeks in advance for the weekends), but everyone who has been raves about it.

ulrikakroon:
Hi!
Thanx!
Ulrika

You can rent everything down in Monterey....

May I suggest a warm up (cold water) dive at the breakwater (local training area) with either a local divemaster or a willing local diver (depending on your experience level) that should get you tuned up for a boat dive the next day or later in the week. The boats don't rent out gear unless you can arrange something well in advanced, but then the gear might now fit as well thus it may cause some anxiety and spoil your diving pleasure. Thus the warm up dive I suggested earlier.

Most of the shops have a divemaster led local intro dive that would be great specially if you come here during the week when most of us are working :( and then the instructor can also help you with any refreshing you need on your cold water skills.

It might help if you post your certs and dive experience. Most of us are happy to show an out of towner a good time as long as we're sure that they're a competant diver.

ulrikakroon:
Hi!
Thanx!
Ulrika
If you don't get any better offers by then (!), I'd be glad to show you around. I don't have extra equipment, I'm afraid, so you would have to rent that stuff. But I should have lots of time to get back into the Monterey diving scene this summer. The best bet is mid-week at Point Lobos, but I'm game for absolutely anything.

BTW, I did some great diving in Puerto Galera a few years ago so would love to have a chance to repay the favor I was shown by the DMs there. I should be able to match your IDCS by June, so you won't have to feel like you're with a newbie.

Bruce
Saratoga, CA (as of next Tuesday night)

ulrika, it is so cool to see you on the board, i will send you a PM , i would love to return the hospitality to you that you all gave us while we were there with you, we would love to show you monterey!!!! jim:D

jim ernst:
ulrika, it is so cool to see you on the board, i will send you a PM , i would love to return the hospitality to you that you all gave us while we were there with you, we would love to show you monterey!!!! jim:D

I think it was last June, unfortunately!

Ulrikakroon, if you show up in Monterey at the breakwater fairly early any weekend morning you will have litterally hundreds of dive buddies to hook up with. Seriously, the Bamboo Reef Dive Shop is right at the far end of the breakwater - you can rent all your gear there and jump right in. Once you have gotten your gear wet, you should head to one of the less crowded beach dive sites. Ask at Bamboo Reef or ask any of the divers hanging around there. You can take your car down to Lover's Cove or Coral Street, and there are even guys who come around to fill your tanks periodically during the day, so carry a little cash. I am sure you can join a group at any of the beach dive sites - and you won't be able to miss them because of all the divers running around - lol. Locals love to show off their beautiful Monterey diving.

Then on the second day of the weekend you could head out on one of the Monterey Dive boats for a couple of really nice dives - but you will have to arrange those in advance. Just do a google for them - there are several to choose from.

Diving in Monterey is very "come as you are" once you get over the 7mm wet suit, gloves, hood, etc, and once you get used to the feel of the cold water. You will LOVE the kelp forests, no place like it!

Have fun, and happy diving.

Patti

D_O_H:
I think it was last June, unfortunately!

*sigh*

This why I keep asking Pete to put the Thread Origination date on the forum displays. One person runs across an antique thread and replies to it. Then it shows up on the "New Posts" list, and people don't always think to look at how old it is.

Well it is nice to see that people are willing to help a visiting female go diving !!

Wristshot

Wristshot:
*sigh*

This why I keep asking Pete to put the Thread Origination date on the forum displays. One person runs across an antique thread and replies to it. Then it shows up on the "New Posts" list, and people don't always think to look at how old it is.

Well it is nice to see that people are willing to help a visiting female go diving !!

Wristshot
sorry wristshot, you are correct, we need to stop the old threads as dummies like me somtimes dont look at the date and well...... i didnt, i was real pleased to see her coming here as i got to know her while i was in pg, and she is real cool, ooopppsss,lol,OH MAN THIS THREAD WAS IN 2005

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom