How come?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe the Oahu dive shops cater more to tourists rather than the local diver and just carry stuff that someone might forget and minimum amounts of the rest, that would make the cost higher.

It's been 3-4 years since I've been there, (sadly), but on the north shore Sea & Sea?? the surf/dive shop had a pretty good selection of equipment from what I remember. Don't remember what the prices were like, but the inventory seemed higher than most.

The last time I looked at dive shops in the Honolulu area was when I was still in the navy, 20 years ago, (hand me my cane please), and even back then the shops were small and overpriced.

A dive shop like MDS that has what 4 shops on Maui can maybe be a little more affordable because of volume, they're practically a chain store. I would think the dive shops on Oahu are all independent from each other and have very high overhead, thus can't afford to have large inventory. All that adds up to high prices and low selection.

What they need is "Hilo Hattie's" for divers!! ut-oh!...there goes my brain again giving me ideas!!!! Let's see...."Sharky's Ohana Dive Center"...yeah, that's it!!

sharky60:
Maybe the Oahu dive shops cater more to tourists rather than the local diver and just carry stuff that someone might forget and minimum amounts of the rest, that would make the cost higher.

It's been 3-4 years since I've been there, (sadly), but on the north shore Sea & Sea?? the surf/dive shop had a pretty good selection of equipment from what I remember. Don't remember what the prices were like, but the inventory seemed higher than most.

The last time I looked at dive shops in the Honolulu area was when I was still in the navy, 20 years ago, (hand me my cane please), and even back then the shops were small and overpriced.

A dive shop like MDS that has what 4 shops on Maui can maybe be a little more affordable because of volume, they're practically a chain store. I would think the dive shops on Oahu are all independent from each other and have very high overhead, thus can't afford to have large inventory. All that adds up to high prices and low selection.

What they need is "Hilo Hattie's" for divers!! ut-oh!...there goes my brain again giving me ideas!!!! Let's see...."Sharky's Ohana Dive Center"...yeah, that's it!!
actually, MDS is up to 8 retail shops now!

I'm really surprised the guy hasn't expanded to other islands... call it Oahu Dive Shop (ODS for short)... :)

See in Sea is in Waikiki. There is a surf shop on the north shore that does a little scuba. I went there once. Now for north shore I deal with Deep Ecology. Better but still far from a "real" LDS. MDS keeps growing, Jacks and Big Isle divers on, of course, the big Isle are making a killing with a real good selection. Why can not the isle with 80% of the population of all the islands have a decent store???? If I had the money to invest and was silly enough to try to make a living at diving, I could be the Sam Walden on the dive world! LOL

Wildcard:
See in Sea is in Waikiki. There is a surf shop on the north shore that does a little scuba. I went there once. Now for north shore I deal with Deep Ecology. Better but still far from a "real" LDS. MDS keeps growing, Jacks and Big Isle divers on, of course, the big Isle are making a killing with a real good selection. Why can not the isle with 80% of the population of all the islands have a decent store???? If I had the money to invest and was silly enough to try to make a living at diving, I could be the Sam Walden on the dive world! LOL

Island Divers Hawaii is very well stocked and sell Halcyon, Akona, Bare, Sherwood, Cressi, Genesis and XS scuba. A small problem is that the shop is on a military base :D ... but you are welcome to call and see if what you are looking for is in stock. If it is we'll make sure you'll get it. For any larger purchases you'd better come in on the base and try the stuff out in our huge pool...
We are working on getting our online shop up so you can see directly what's in stock, but it'll be just a bit longer before it is implemented.
Phonenumber to IDH is 808 423 8222

Hey! You guys owe me $8 for my wheel I bought there! I got charged full price not the pro price. LOL...I didn't have time to realy poke around but I'll stop in soon.

sliden:
A small problem is that the shop is on a military base

This has been the main problem for me as far as being able to give Island Divers more of my business - both gear wise and in classes. I used to do most of my diving with the dive club back when the Waikiki "shop" was open - but it seems like the bulk of business has moved over to Hickam, and I can't get on base. I would have been eligible for the dive club fee waiver for the first year they started charging for membership, but I've never gotten around to calling. Too late now, anyway.

I agree that it's pretty hard to find a good selection of gear right now. Luckily I'm not really in the market to pick anything up. I'm hoping that Coral Divers is able to make a go of it and continue where HSA left off. Right now they're still so new it's hard to say.

Back
Top Bottom