How dangerous is the Jewel Moray?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Buzo Loco

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just how dangerous is the Jewel Moray ?

I shot this photo last weekend and was told by an instructor I was lucky not to have been attacked. She said a local diver sustained bites requiring 300 stitches after disturbing two of these last year.

Is this a folktale or are the Jewel Moray more aggressive than others?

I've never had any problem with the morays I've encountered and videotaped, including the jewel moray. I get up close and personal with them, but I try to avoid any sudden motion or other actions that might frighten them. The operative word in the attack mentioned by your instructor might have been "disturbed."

I did have a very large Panamic green come out of its hole and "lunge" at me (from about 10-12 ft) in the Sea of Cortez, but it may just have been trying to swim from hole to hole and not seen me clearly due to their generally poor vision.

Dr. Bill

The only time I've felt a marine animal was attacking me, was a jewel morey. Several times, on different dives, down in the Sea of Cortez. Bit my console, and chased me once. Two of the instructors got bit. Different locations, different eels.

Mean, aggressive little buggers, IMO.

Hmmm... perhaps I've just been lucky. I'll exercise a bit more caution this winter while I'm diving the Gulf of California.

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom