how dangerous is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bozack

New
Reaction score
i'm a novice - had a my OW and AOW shoddily trained in an unnamed country. let the shop know that i only had ~20 dives under my belt

last dive of the day, the guide dropped us in too far from the reef. he surfaced, indicating i should follow, after going down 20+m and spending ~2 secs there. after surfacing, we then swam closer to the reef the begin our descent to ~20m and begin a normal dive. the dive was then centered around 10m for ~30-40 minutes - end was 5m @ 10 minutes.

the first descent has me wondering how stupid i was not to take a safety stop on the ascent.

this might be a good lesson for should i be in a situation where i _must_ ascend quickly. what is the best way to minimize damage/risk?

thank you.

The best way to minimize risk is to never go up fast and to do a 3 min stop at 5 meters/15 feet regardless of how deep you dive and how long you are there...

However, the "risk" with going down to 20 meters and just go back up again within normal rates are "less than huge"...

thanks, safety stops have been stressed so much - i can't believe i didn't do one.

I did 6 dives last week in Mexico, all of them included a safety stop (of some sort, caverns can dictate you somwhat).
Safety stops however is just that, safety. They are not required unless you dive deep for some time (within 3 groups from NDL or any dive deeper than 30 meter), but for added safety and good habit, I do one on every dive I do more or less..

Well what kind of dives had you already done?

catherine96821:
Well what kind of dives had you already done?
That of course being relevant because even a short dive to 20 meters when you have done previous dives could get you within safety stop requirements..
Sorry to say I didnt pay attention to the "last dive of the day" part.

EDIT: The dive table you hopefully got from your shoddily trained OW and AOW class holds much of the answers to the question at hand if you learned to use it properly.

making a bounce dive on last dive of the day to depth of 20m is definitely not a thing to do.
as I don`t know your previous dive profiles and surface intervals, i will suppose that you have not made another mistake and made your last dive deeper than previous, in which case you put yourself in quite dangerous situation.

Back
Top Bottom