How deep have you gone and why ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hal Watts coined the term Plan your dive, Dive your plan

148' at Dalco Wall, for Advanced Nitrox training. Very cool wall dive, I'd do that one again. One of the few local sites worth going deep on.

147 ft. Missed the barge we were trying to hit. Played in the sand.

Did 165 ft in a chamber. Part of AOW class.

TASea:
148' at Dalco Wall, for Advanced Nitrox training. Very cool wall dive, I'd do that one again. One of the few local sites worth going deep on.
I was under the impression that the MOD for Nitrox where severely lower than for air?
EANx32 and EANx36 the MOD being something like 100 feet?

Tigerman:
I was under the impression that the MOD for Nitrox where severely lower than for air?

There are nitrox mixtures other than 32% and 36%. Adv Nitrox is usually combined with decompression procedures, so just because he was doing a deep dive doesn't mean he was using nitrox as the bottom gas. High O2 nitrox mixtures are used for decompression.

You are right, though. The MOD for Nitrox 32% is 111 ft and 36% is 95ft.

Soggy:
There are nitrox mixtures other than 32% and 36%. Adv Nitrox is usually combined with decompression procedures, so just because he was doing a deep dive doesn't mean he was using nitrox as the bottom gas. High O2 nitrox mixtures are used for decompression.

TY. That would explain why I got lost :)

Tigerman:

Yep, what Soggy said. We used air (21%) for bottom gas, and deco'd on 50% nitrox (MOD 59' @ PPO2 of 1.4) from a slung bottle. Fun way to dive, the rich mix clears a deco obligation quickly, or just adds extra safety margin, depending on how you use it.

Soggy:

Leaner EAN mixtures are used by some for deep diving, although you then have to contend with the narcosis issue. I did my first 150 foot dive on EAN25. Never again ... definitely felt the wah-wah's, and didn't like it one bit ... from now on anything deeper than about 110 is gonna be on a mix that has some helium in it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I did 130' for my deep diving specialty dives on Nitrox 30% I believe. I'd have to check my log book to be sure on the mix percent. Each dive I was down at 130 long enough to do a few drills and some quick math.

It's posts like this that encourage taking unnecessary risks for a "PATCH" that gets new divers and dumb old divers killed. Keep up the great work and hope to live to earn another "PATCH" WooHoooo!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom