How deep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nwcid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On my last post it made me come up with another question. Right now for the things we want to see and get to is about 200'. Right now I don't see doing much past that.

So what depths do you generally dive to?

How much stuff (I know a lot) of practical things are there to see below 200'? How often do you dive them?

On my last post it made me come up with another question. Right now for the things we want to see and get to is about 200'. Right now I don't see doing much past that.

How much stuff (I know a lot) of practical things are there to see below 200'? How often do you dive them?

I think you'd be better off not even considering those questions right now. Choose your rebreathers, hopefully making sure that they can go deep should you eventually decide to dive there. Learn to dive them and get a LOT of hours before you decide if you want to go deep.

You may realize that you have no desire to dive deeper than 150', or to never do deco dives, or any other number of things you won't think of right now.

For example , I've been diving for 26 years and I've done more than a thousand dives with some form of camera, still or video. I now have 20 hours on my rebreather since getting certified since last August and I wouldn't even CONSIDER taking a camera with me until I have a lot more hours on it. Until my task loading is more manageable it's just me and the machine and my bailouts.

The short version is don't put the cart before the horse. :)

-Adrian

I understand what you are saying and have no plans on hitting 500' the day after class. It does make a bit of difference in choices of units though.

Right now many of the things we want to see sit between 150-200'. In that case I could do a Pathfinder (one unit I am considering) which is only rated to 200'. Yet for not much more $$$ I could step up to a standard Meg (another consideration).

Too many times in life I have bought what I "needed" now and quickly found out shortly there after what filled the short term did not fill the long term costing more in the long run. That is why I am just trying to get an idea.

Right now many of the things we want to see sit between 150-200'. In that case I could do a Pathfinder (one unit I am considering) which is only rated to 200'. Yet for not much more $$$ I could step up to a standard Meg (another consideration).

I understand, but I still think you're looking too far ahead. For example, TDI's MOD I class teaches air dil with deco to 150'. Once you complete that you need at LEAST 25 hours on the unit before you can do MOD II, which is introductory trimix. You're going to be limited to air dil and 150' for quite a while with the 25 hour requirement. It doesn't seem like a lot of hours but you'll be supposed at how long it takes to get there.

I believe you should buy a unit that will fill your needs NOW and not look over the horizon too far. If you REALLY believe you'll want to dive to 200' and beyond buy a unit that can be upgraded, or spend the money for a unit that can already go there. Then plan on spending a long time training to get there. Focus on that training and not on the depth you *eventually* want to go to.

-Adrian

I have a rEvo III MCCR that I take to 300' frequently without a single mod. I have a friend who this year took his (same unit) to 400 without any modifications.

---------- Post added December 20th, 2013 at 07:55 AM ----------

I understand, but I still think you're looking too far ahead. For example, TDI's MOD I class teaches air dil with deco to 150'. Once you complete that you need at LEAST 25 hours on the unit before you can do MOD II, which is introductory trimix. You're going to be limited to air dil and 150' for quite a while with the 25 hour requirement. It doesn't seem like a lot of hours but you'll be supposed at how long it takes to get there.

I believe you should buy a unit that will fill your needs NOW and not look over the horizon too far. If you REALLY believe you'll want to dive to 200' and beyond buy a unit that can be upgraded, or spend the money for a unit that can already go there. Then plan on spending a long time training to get there. Focus on that training and not on the depth you *eventually* want to go to.

-Adrian

I understand the OP's concern. Should he buy the Hollis unit that while cheap can only got to 130'ish feet? No, if you are relatively certain you don't want to be limited to 200', and you know you can't afford to buy a different unit in 5 years, do all your research now, and buy once. Just because you want a unit that will go to 400' doesn't mean you plan on going there in 4 months.

I understand what you are saying and have no plans on hitting 500' the day after class. It does make a bit of difference in choices of units though.

Too many times in life I have bought what I "needed" now and quickly found out shortly there after what filled the short term did not fill the long term costing more in the long run. That is why I am just trying to get an idea.

You are asking a very fair question, and considering the investment in a rebreather, a very good question. In my opinion and experience, I think you would regret purchasing a unit that limits you to 200'. Even if you never decide to dive below that depth, having that option available is not a negative and will make the unit easier to sell should you decide to at some point in the future.

I understand the OP's concern. Should he buy the Hollis unit that while cheap can only got to 130'ish feet? No, if you are relatively certain you don't want to be limited to 200', and you know you can't afford to buy a different unit in 5 years, do all your research now, and buy once. Just because you want a unit that will go to 400' doesn't mean you plan on going there in 4 months.

As I already said in one of my posts, if the OP really thinks he will be going deep he should buy units capable of that depth. However, that being his primary focus is looking too far ahead at this point. He needs to learn to really dive CCR before he starts looking at serious depth.

As for the Hollis, you're referring to the Explorer, I take it? I wouldn't even bring that into the discussion - it's not an appropriate unit for anything beyond 130'. The Prism2 on the other hand is fully capable of diving far beyond that depth.

-Adrian

Sorry, I don't see the need to buy limitation. Buy the best you can buy that you won't be able to outgrow, and you might not have the need to replace in 2 years... or less.

Just because my corvette goes 190 doesn't mean I have to drive it 190.

Just because my corvette goes 190 doesn't mean I have to drive it 190.

You're making the same point I am. The OP seems fixated on getting to 200'. He's posted the same question on other online forums as well.

To use your analogy he needs to learn to drive at 10, then 15, then 20, and so on, and quit staring at the 200 mark on his speedometer until he's ready to go there. Crawl before he walks before he runs.

-Adrian

You're making the same point I am. The OP seems fixated on getting to 200'. He's posted the same question on other online forums as well.

To use your analogy he needs to learn to drive at 10, then 15, then 20, and so on, and quit staring at the 200 mark on his speedometer until he's ready to go there. Crawl before he walks before he runs.

-Adrian

Yes I do need to start slow and that is my full intention, but I also need to have a path to get where I want to go. Since when is having a goal a bad thing? First you have to have a goal then take the right steps to get there. So here is a more direct question for you. It is unrealistic to have a goal to be able to complete MOD2 by the end of 3 years?

I am not sure how I am "fixated" by having a goal. I asked this question on 2 different boards since this one is a general diving board, and one that is geared specifically to rebreathers RBW. Many people keep telling me to talk to owners of units, instructors, shops, ect but when I do the same thing online apparently it becomes "fixation". If the questions are never asked then how will they get answered?

Back to the "speed" comparison I put about 10,000 miles a year on a motorcycle. I have one of the fastest production bikes out there, Kawasaki Concours that has a chip and full exhaust. I have had a couple of other bikes in the past but in reality I would have been just fine having it as my first bike. Price was why I had others. Even having rode other bikes I did not hop on it on day one and "see what it could do", I worked my way up. When I first get on it again in the spring my riding style is very different then the fall after I have been riding for 5-6 months again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom