How do I choose the right dive knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EMT shears covers 90% of entrapment issues...

If you're scavanging, prying, artifact hunting, or cutting bait, an inexpensive blunted, or tanto stainless as a supplement to the shears will do fine...

If you're fighting off Spectre underwater, a 12 inch titanium Bowie would be cool...

Maybe it's just me buy why would you not just tie a lanyard to your knife so you didn't drop it?

EMT shears covers 90% of entrapment issues...

If you're scavanging, prying, artifact hunting, or cutting bait, an inexpensive blunted, or tanto stainless as a supplement to the shears will do fine...

If you're fighting off Spectre underwater, a 12 inch titanium Bowie would be cool...

oooooo

I tend to agree with the type of tool being matched to the type of diving. Blunt tip for general reef/wreck diving where you might be doing some prying and a pointed tip for spearfishing. I also carry a set of EMT shears on every dive that is attached to my BC. IMHO, I think it is a good idea to carry a cutting tool of some sort on the upper part of the body as well as the lower part.

I also carry shears 100% of the time, in addition to a knife. The only situation where shears won't help if you are being chased by a shark. Shears won't help in a shark attack, only the knife (preferably pointed tip) will ensure my dive buddy is swimming slower than I am.

Jeff

Yes, I am joking. I think carrying shears 100% of the time is a smart idea.

Buy any knife you won’t be upset at loosing.

Then buy a bunch of EMT shears at a deep discount.

Put the knife at your waist, place a pair or two of the shears in convenient locations and then do every thing you can to avoid using them.

And don’t try to cut kelp. Just break it like spaghetti.

Last edited:
Buy cheap knives. When they rust throw em out and get new ones.

I agree with the above statements, you may want to carry several different tools for different purposes. shears are good for some things and knives for others, remember its not about looking badass, it's about functionallity. It is my experience in the military that there is no such thing as a "SEAL" knife or a "Recon" knife, most of us who use knives in the military pick out and purchase knives that are specifically designed for the type of use you will most likely encounter, so think about it, choose wisely, and get your moneys worth. When dispatching a big ass struggling fish, it may be in your best interest to avoid the likelyhood of getting sliced by a knife on a foul thrust, this can be easily remedied with the use of a kill spike or a device similar to an ice pick. Whatever your decision, i would definatley agree with Lazer's statement that a lanyard is a good idea. Good luck to you all.
Happy hunting!

"Those who prefer security over liberty deserve neither" -Benjamin Franklin-

One "knife" that comes up on a few threads is the Fog cutter knife. Supposed to be the best of all worlds.....

kn100.jpg

And for heaven's sake, get a good knife made from real knife companies instead of the junkers that are passed as dive knives in the typical dive shops. Those things couldn't cut butter much less monofilament lines, cords, fish nettings, etc.

Benchmade and Spyderco make excellent dive knives in both fixed blade and folding blade configurations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom