How do I do a 50m bounce?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

130 feet is a stupid agency trick not a physiological boundary. It exists because that was where the U.S. Navy decided to make a normal operational shift from a scuba diver to a surface supplied air diver, nothing more, nothing less. In point of fact, the tables are all the same until you go off the standard air tables below 190 feet, just that the times get shorter. The additional big concern is narcosis, followed by CO2 retention and O2 issues (but those take longer dives).

Thanks for the insider info Thal, but my point is that an average diver probably doesn't know this. In support of your own point that it's good the OP came here to ask his question, he could go to his OW table and see that he could potentially do 8-9 minutes at 130ft without a real deco obligation, which is probably what he did. However, he'd have no guidance past 140ft, which is where he wants to go. Furthermore, correct me if I'm wrong, but at 164ft he's getting pretty close to a ppO2 of 1.4 on air, and while that might not be what his main concern should be on a short bounce, it's something that that would at least cause me to seek knowledgeable advice prior to attempting.

Diving's dangerous.

Certifying agencies are the ones that say its safe so to bring in less intellegent people to the underwater world.

If a person wants to acheive a higher goal in life, its there right as a human to do so.

If someone wants to learn on the scubaboard how to go deeper, its there decision on what advice to take.

Wow! This thread has gone from good advice; (get the right training) to the Darwinian approach of "he can do whatever he wants...god help him". Well, scuba accidenta are bad for all of us. We enjoy a non-government regulated activity, but if enough people die from stupid stunts this could change.
The additional big concern is narcosis, followed by CO2 retention and O2 issues (but those take longer dives).!
Since when did narcosis and CO2 issue take longer dives? Fact is, accident statistics and analysis show deep air diving (and solo diving) prevail in the cause of death for many divers. Dont encourage this guy to "experiment" with deep diving on air without proper training and equipment.

Bouncing to 50m (or more) is like driving very fast, say +200kph. Many do it for the thrill and bragging rights. The majority survive to tell the tale. Some don’t.

Please get the training first. You never know, what if you start to loose control, will you even know it before it injures or even kills you?

thats a good point....

Wow, there's a lot of naysaying on this thread.
Provided we're starting clean as on a first dive, 3 minutes at 50m after a 3 minute descent (at 18m/min) hardly creates any deco requirement given a 9m/min ascent.
On my old tables (pre 2000) there was no deco required, on my new tables there's only a 1min at 3m obligatory deco.
Of course the deco requirement goes up rapidly for a longer stay but that wasn't the original question.
For me the major issue is the OPs narcosis tolerance and if he really has done a number of dives to 40m then he'll already have a pretty good idea of the risks entailed.
Is it impossible, no!
Is it risky, yes!
OTOH there are quite a few dive sites around the world where tourists are taken on air to 50m every day of the year and accidents are still very rare.

Fact is, accident statistics and analysis show deep air diving (and solo diving) prevail in the cause of death for many divers.
Not trying to derail the thread, and certainly not trying to start an argument, but which 'accident statistics and analysis' show that deep air diving prevails 'in the cause of death for many divers'? Yes, I am separating deep air diving from solo diving. And, I'm not arguing about the putative risks of deep air in regard to narcosis, red cell rigidity, etc. Just trying to gather additional information on the implied association between deep air diving and diver deaths.

Fact is, accident statistics and analysis show deep air diving (and solo diving) prevail in the cause of death for many divers.
And your source for this "fact" is?

My understanding of the "facts" is that it is newbies that die disproportionately.

I was just hoping this silly thread had died!!!!!

I was just hoping this silly thread had died!!!!!
There's always the ignore thread command. Remember ... Mathew 18:9 "... if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee ..."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom