How do I renew my PADI teaching status?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

allyabz

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Folks,

First time post so forgive me if my query has been answered elsewhere on this board although I can't seem to find a definitive answer. I qualified as OWSI in May 2007 but did not actively teach nor seek employment within the industry. I have only dived a handful of times on fun dives since then. I'm now fed up of the rat race and would like to get back into diving on a professional level. I have renewed my PADI membership but I'm at a loss as to how to gain teaching status. I'll be attending UDC in Utila in a few weeks to carry out my MSDT and IDC Staff with plenty of time either side of each to freshen up my own skills/knowledge and understanding/abilities but do I need to re-take my IE? I'm happy to retrain if I need to as I'm taking it seriously and want to progress my professional diving skills whilst ensuring that my students are of course safe under my instruction!

I'm hoping someone can help so I can make the required arrangements with the centre?

Cheers

Allyabz

You should ask PADI. Depending on the number of years, it's just an instructor update, or re-doing an IE. The right people to ask, are PADI, quite honestly.

I have renewed my PADI membership but I'm at a loss as to how to gain teaching status.

From 2007 to present did you stay current with your membership dues, maintaining a non teaching status? Doesn't sound like it.
If you have, then most likely you would have to show proof of insurance and you would be at teaching status. That doesn't mean you're ready to teach. IMO

If you haven't stayed current with your membership dues, then PADI may ask you to audit an IDC, attend an IDC or retake the IE.
The only way to find out is contact PADI as ElGaucho has already suggested.

Last edited:
I just had a instructor from Jamaica come in yesterday in the 5 star IDC facility I teach out of with the same issue..He had been inactive for 5 years. What I read from an email he received from PADI is he has 2 options; either redo The OWSI portion of a PADI IDC with a course director OR entire IDC..either would work. Course director then contacts PADI and the individual will be active again. Of course he also needs to renew/ be a EFR instructor.
PADI also stated that if he waited any longer, let it lapse to 6 years, he would need to also pass an IE..That is what I read. Every case may be different. Contact PADI and see what they want in this case.

Thanks for the above info. I've emailed PADI this afternoon so I'll wait to hear what I get back from them. I totally agree that I would not be ready to teach as it stands and would personally feel more comfortable myself if I were to sit through an IDC/retake the OWSI portion.

thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom