How do these pics look?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brandon

Shop Independent Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm impatient as hell. My camera housing isn't here yet, so I can't start shooting, but that doesn't mean I can't start editing!

I snagged a bunch of pics off my LDS's website (I didn't take any of these), and played with them in Photoshop CS.

I think most of these were shot with lower end reefmasters with either the attached external flash, or the internal flash.

How do these look? Top is the edited, bottom is original.

Image 1: Color looks good, couldn't get rid of backscatter (starting to see the benefits of not using a flash for these kind of shots)

Image 2: I love this one... dramatic difference. Good contrast between the sand / water / sharks.

Image 3: Lots less blue, colors much more vivid.

Thanks! Can't wait until I have some of my own to screw with. If I can get them to look half as decent as these, I'll be thrilled.

-B

Nice work. I also love how Photoshop inprove the UW pictures.

The water in the last two has a bit too much red in it...unless you are diving in lavendar water! :D Be careful not to remove too much blue.

they look good from here - are you using techniques found here on this board? i'd love summary / details.

On the last image. You want some blue.

Good job of working in CS, it's a powerful tool, yes!

I would also get more out of this if the images you posted were a LOT bigger. It's VERY difficult to judge images that are just large thumbnails.

So what camera and housing did you get? Did you spring for a flash as well?

Awesome!

You might look at some of the third-party sharpening software out there, too. Not that your shots aren't sharp, but that kind of software can remove artifacts left by digitals as well as highlighting edges to give an appearance of more detail in some instances.

HIH chris

As far as technique goes... I'm mostly just screwing with levels until the colors look right..

I have a Canon SD100 (with 1gig SD card), and I ordered the WP-DC10 housing for it... should be here soon. Headed to Hawaii here soon, and plan on taking a LOT of pictures while I'm there.

Just trying to get some practice in, and get a feeling for what "looks right". Thanks for all the comments... it sure helps!

When I have my own high-res pictures, I'll post more, or host a bunch on my website. These are about 480x640 full size, as I just jacked them off my LDS's site for practice. My camera shoots at 2048x1536 with 3.2 MP, so I should have a lot more to work with.

What I'm envisioning doing, is using manual mode to calibrate white balance underwater with a white object (probably use my slate, or laminate a piece of paper, we'll see), and then shooting pics for a dive, and see what works well. I won't have a photoshop capable computer with me, so hopefully I figure it out =)

Do you still have to adjust in photoshop when the white balance is properly calibrated?

-B.

Brandon:

Levels is a good starting point because you get a lot of mileage for minimal effort as you have discovered. I assume you are "screwing with levels" in each color channel individually? PS has a host of other tools you will come to love. As your diver shot shows, overall color correction can get part of the image looking the way you want (divers) and mess up other parts (noise and unnatural color in water). The starfish shot came out great. The shark shot got the sand right but the sharks a little greenish. If you want to post some original pictures as large as the forum will allow (even better upload to your gallery) I am happy to throw in my $.02 as to some more detailed adjustments.

---Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom