How do you ALWAYS time your Snorkel blast/blow when surfacing? The solution...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know of any videos of it in action, but if I get to a pool in the next few days, I'll try and get someone to video it. It's simple. basically, from depth, a small puff of air into the snorkel while looking towards the surface (open end of snorkel tilted down), the small puff of air becomes a large volume of air as you near the surface due to the pressure change and forces all the water out of the snorkel, then, at the surface, you quickly change your direction of sight to looking down, kinda flipping your snorkel out of the water to vertical and there you go. Snorkel is empty and you can inhale as soon as you break the surface. To learn this, it is best to try it from a bit deeper depth.. say around 7-10'.. but after it becomes second nature, it can even be done from just under the surface and you'll also find the perfect speed to flip the snorkel at the surface. I guess I just do it second nature now and don't give it a thought.
geez, I feel like I just divulged some great and wonderous secret from the society of land locked snorkelers or something.

Holding,
thank you for explaining this method, I have a better idea on trying this method out. After reading your post, it would seem that you will have to get the "flipping your snorkel (from downwards to upwards) on the surface timing down pact" to do this method correctly. I assume if you miss your snorkel flip timing, there is a good chance the water will shoot down the flute again. Once you master this, this will come in handy in certain situations. The method I mentioned, would come in handy in this situation:
#1 You are certain there will be no objects floating over your head.
#2 When ascending you would prefer to look downwards
#3 Locking on a geographic position or target in the water

I couldn't find a video reference any where.
The displacement clearing method is as old as the hills (70's)
Instead of blasting (to clear the snorkel) the diver simply exhales continuously as your hand reaches surface, while head is still under water. A slight head tilt is all that is necessary, mask looking up slightly.
Your breath displaces the water , filling the snorkel with a continuous flow of air.
No effort to bast the water out, is required.
A continuous exhale breath as the head breaks water ensures the tube is clear, ready for inhale.

regards

Mike D

Last edited:
The displacement method of snorkel clearing was used by early California spear fishermen since the introduction of snorkels in the US immediate after WW11 around 1947- 8.

The great pioneer California diver/spearfisnerman and a early NAUI instructor John Reseck Jr. was the first known to have documented displacement method of snorkel clearing about 1967 in his paper on snorkel clearing in one of the very early ICUE ( International conference on Under water Education) AKA "IQ." The IQ was an yearly four day international conference of diving educators who presented papers on various subjects long before the advent of putting another dollar in to become an "Professional instructor..."

The displacement method was also illustrated in John's 1975 book, "SCUBA, safe and simple" (ISBN 0-13-7967 14-4)

NAUI produced a series of slides presentations in the late 1960s and very early 1970s on a variety of diving techniques which were marketed to the membership. I suspect that this is the file clip which you recall and you are searching. It maybe appropriate to contact NAUI HQ who possibly have a copy in their archives

Now the displacement method has been discovered by late model tube sucking bubble blowers as a new method of snorkel clearing?

John in his mid 70s is now retired lives in Washington state and still active in water sports

..clipped..
Now the displacement method has been discovered by late model tube sucking bubble blowers as a new method of snorkel clearing?

No, you're way off base with that remark.. in fact, it was mentioned that it comes from around the 70's or so.. just some on here had never heard of it and some of us were just making them aware. But thanks for your great history report of where it all began.

The displacement method of snorkel clearing was used by early California spear fishermen since the introduction of snorkels in the US immediate after WW11 around 1947- 8.

The great pioneer California diver/spearfisnerman and a early NAUI instructor John Reseck Jr. was the first known to have documented displacement method of snorkel clearing about 1967 in his paper on snorkel clearing in one of the very early ICUE ( International conference on Under water Education) AKA "IQ." The IQ was an yearly four day international conference of diving educators who presented papers on various subjects long before the advent of putting another dollar in to become an "Professional instructor..."

The displacement method was also illustrated in John's 1975 book, "SCUBA, safe and simple" (ISBN 0-13-7967 14-4)

NAUI produced a series of slides presentations in the late 1960s and very early 1970s on a variety of diving techniques which were marketed to the membership. I suspect that this is the file clip which you recall and you are searching. It maybe appropriate to contact NAUI HQ who possibly have a copy in their archives

John in his mid 70s is now retired lives in Washington state and still active in water sports
I met John about a year ago while on vacation. He described his snorkel-clearing technique to us. Fascinating guy. I have two of his books: the one mentioned above, and We Survived Yesterday, about his trip with three others, paddling two double kayaks from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas. He was a scuba instructor back when you had to actually demonstrate serious skills proficiency.

Back on topic, the link in the OP repeatedly refers to snorkeling in limited to zero visibility. Why would anyone want to snorkel in zero visibility?

Those of you asking about a video of a displacement clear - I have one. I don't feel comfortable putting it on Youtube due to the fact that I'm not sure who the diver is being taped. If anyone wants to host it and post a link in this thread, that's ok. Just let me know how to get it to you (1.3 mb).

The video is in a swimming pool, the diver is in shallow water with a clear snorkel so that you can clearly see when he exhales a small bubble and what happens when he rolls his head forward.

One (somewhat obvious) point - The displacement method does not work with a purge valve in the bottom of your snorkel unless you cover it up with your hand or duct tape. Unfortunately, normal j-type snorkels are getting harder to find these days (Deep See, Mares both still make one).

Back
Top Bottom