How do YOU choose a dive op?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjhansman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
To the moderator: Marg…..this is posted here and in Basic Scuba Discussions. Feel free to remove one if you want.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

identical thread in two different forums merged. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

Just some thoughts as I sit by the pool numbing myself with Don Julio. (Edited later for clarity)

Anyone who has been part of ScubaBoard for more than a week has seen the discussions concerning which dive op is “the best”, whether it’s in Cozumel, the Keys, the GBR, the Red Sea, or lower Slobovia. People are pretty polarized and reasons include any number of things……tank size, diving your tank, cheap nitrox, boat size, boat speed, food served, attention to detail, and maybe even how good the crew looks in bikinis.

Painful experience has given me sort of an epiphany concerning a truly critical reason for choosing your dive op wisely. A reason that seems to be rarely mentioned or discussed.

On a recent boat/drift dive, someone very near and dear to me experienced a critical problem at 60 fsw and was completely unresponsive shortly after she got to surface. Not conscious. Not breathing. No heartbeat. Not good. I’m leaving out the details but this wasn’t an equipment problem. We all know those can generally be mitigated by proper servicing, good diving practices, redundancy, and a good buddy, etc. This was something else that happened 45 minutes into a slow, relaxing drift dive, and things went from zero to OH F#CK!! in less than 2 minutes.

But our divemaster TOOK CHARGE!! Mouth-to-mouth in the water, gear stripped off, into the boat, CPR until breathing started, oxygen, doctor/hospital/ambulance all contacted on speed dial. All in a very few minutes. Ambulance waiting when we got to shore. Doctors waiting at the hospital. Happy ending. Looks like she’ll be around for me to annoy for a few years yet.

So my point is, many of you have your favorites for any number of reasons. But ask yourself this…..are the divemaster and crew the kind of people who can keep it together and do things right when the sh*t really hits the fan? Are they truly prepared and capable of managing a life or death scenario? Because at some point you may be putting your life into their hands.

Just food for thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
First off I'm happy for a good conclusion, the midpoint of the experience was horrifying to read. Glad she's ok.

Thankfully you did have competent people to help handle the crisis. Quality emergency response is a valuable resource. Might it be appropriate to name the DM who showed exceptional service and good judgement?

Regarding the thread topic in a round about way. On land I love photography, I occasionally will take pictures with someone else and even more rarely higher a professional to accompany me or guide. I may have a medical emergency during this hobby. I don't pick my photography partner based on if they are an ER Doctor or what their first aid training and preparation is. I am willing to accept the medical risks of pursuing something I love and would rather a skilled, good natured, funny and patient photography to spend time with then sacrificing those criteria in favor of someone who might save my life in the 1:100,000 chance I might have a medical issue that benefits from quality first response. (Risk assessment and statistic entirely made up)

I might be in the minority, but as a former first responder, I've come to terms with my personal balance of pleasure and risk. I do know when sh*t hits the fan I'd like a quality person by my side and I hope that does not mean sacrificing enjoyment.

Of course gross neglect and criminal incompetence is another story.

It's a lifesaving thread topic. Thank you for sharing and I'm confident the food for thought will help many.

Anyway, all in all. Wow. I'm thankful you both came through this incident ok.

Respectively,
Cameron

I haven't thought about how skilled the dive crew are during an emergency. I'm overweight as it is ("food for thought"). I guess I assume the crew has been properly trained and they have all the right credentials. But, being properly trained does not indicate how crews might respond in an emergency. Your crew responded in an ideal way and I hope I would get the same response should I ever need it.

I'm more concerned about my buddy's actions as I usually dive with an insta-buddy when I'm on vacation. I try to hit all the major topics (i.e. weight releases, alternate air location, hand signals, goals, etc.), but you never know how they will react. Knowing their experience and training level helps but that is not a sure indication of how they will respond.

Very, very glad that things worked out for you and yours. Great perspective, and thanks for sharing.

No public shout-out here to give giant kudos to that op and DM? Come on, "a job well done" even on the internets never hurts and I'm sure many of us would be happy to hear good things about any dive op, whether it's our own favorite or not.

Glad things turned out ok.

Excellent point, and I totally agree, but I wonder how one would go about choosing a dive op/DM with such abilities if such things don't happen all that often? How would I know a dive op/DM has it together?

Excellent point, and I totally agree, but I wonder how one would go about choosing a dive op/DM with such abilities if such things don't happen all that often? How would I know a dive op/DM has it together?

An excellent question, and I have no idea how to answer it. That was part of the reason for the post.

Here's a few thoughts. We'll have our physical sh*t in order. Our o2 tank might not be new and shiny but if you ask to see it, you'll recognize a person who knows how to handle it with professional efficiency. A wellplaced question directly to the person you want to save your @ss such as 'how do you contact the nearest chamber?` might help you get a read if it's foremost in their mind and they would be prepared to call. Communication or verbal polish might not be strong but if they can promptly indicate the radio/cellphone and who to contact I'd be happy.

Big talking 'safety first' acts are huge flags for me. I run from people who make a show of safety as a form of marketing.

The trouble is it's so very personal. A shop owner might be former combat medic but wouldn't advertise that information. A DM might be an 18 year old kid with a farm upbringing and skilled in field medicine who spent the last 3 years practicing rescue drills and is studying to be a paramedic on the side. Neither would be obvious unless you know what to ask or look for.

Hopefully this is helpful in developing an awareness. For context: in a former life I had a decade in crisis response front line work. (The young guy in nearly every team but I picked up a few things from the humble old salts)

Regards,
Cameron

Last edited:
But our divemaster TOOK CHARGE!! Mouth-to-mouth in the water, gear stripped off, into the boat, CPR until breathing started, oxygen, doctor/hospital/ambulance all contacted on speed dial. All in a very few minutes. Ambulance waiting when we got to shore. Doctors waiting at the hospital. Happy ending. Looks like she’ll be around for me to annoy for a few years yet.

I've been told by experienced divemasters that they get frequent practice at rescues. They just don't talk about it with customers. There is no real way to tell if the boat will have a divemaster with ten years experience or one just out of training. And experience is what counts to make every detail get attended to when it should.

I'm glad to hear of the good outcome for you and yours.

It's not easy to tell if you're on a boat with a crew and passengers who could save your life or if you are not. There may be clues if you listen to the content and the tone of the emergency section of the boat briefing. Is it confidently stated where all the emergency supplies and oxygen are located and who on the boat is trained in their use and will assist you if you have a problem? Hopefully, you will never find out, but you could.

In nearly 1500 dives, I have only been on a boat once where there was a serious medical emergency. I did not witness the emergency myself but have heard all about it from many who did. The dive was on a moderately deep wreck and I was to untie the line and be the last diver up. There was a group of 3 divers that I last saw about a half hour into the dive. When I surfaced on the ball floats, my boat was gone and another local boat I recognized was just arriving to pick me up. It turned out, one of the three divers had somehow run out of gas at depth. Both of the other divers had tried to supply gas but he had panicked and bolted for the surface, but, did not make it before becoming unresponsive. His buddies promptly got him to the surface, he was quickly picked up, gotten aboard, was resuscitated on the deck, and put on oxygen. Emergency services had already been notified and my pickup arranged. Our boat was met on the way in, the diver transferred, and transported to the hospital. He made a full recovery without sequelae. This is a boat I am very familiar with and this is exactly how I thought they would perform. We should all be as fortunate if we find ourselves in an emergency situation.

It would be hard to know in advance whether a give op.'s crew on a given day and boat had the readiness you saw go into effect for your loved one, not every crew member works ever single trip, shop's have turnover, and credentials don't always equate to real world readiness. Seems like most op.s claim to be safety oriented.

I don't pick an op. (quite yet, anyway) based on whether they have an AED.

Safety matters, and if you or a buddy have serious known health issues, once you know a boat experience like the one you've been on, then if they are otherwise good, too, I imagine you stick with them.

To me, I factor in...

1.) Are they at a location I want to go?
2.) How does the competition look?
3.) Are they reputable, such as on Scuba Board (maybe Trip Advisor)?
4.) Does the boat sound like a good match for the trip (e.g.: might not want a small boat in an area known for periodically rough seas)?
5.) Do they have tanks larger than 80cf?
6.) Do they offer an option for > 2 dives/day? How many total can I pack in?
7.) Is there a package deal for a given # of dives?
8.) Do they have a nice 'turn key' package deal, where hotel, boat package, etc...is included at a simple price?
9.) If they're in Bonaire, can I get airport transfers and rent directly through the op. (e.g.: Buddy Dive Resort)?

I want the best of the most for the least from a big name I've read good things about on Scuba Board.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom