How do you choose a wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pyndle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I am struggling a bit to chose a wing. I know I want a single tank wing for tropical water, so it doesn't need much lift, but then what are the other criteria? I cannot test any wing so I just have to go by specs / design.

I was going to take a tecline donut 13 but then I realized that they're the same price as an apeks wing (I live in a weird country where prices a messed up). Intuitively I would think apeks is more reliable, but are there any other objective criteria to look for aside from price / design / reputation of the brand?

Thanks!

Edit: forgot to mention I want a donut. And will use 12L cylinders, DIR harness and a cheap basic aluminium backplate from aliexpress :D

For starters, 13L (29lbs) is more lift than you need for a tropical single tank wing. I dive an 18lb (8L) and it's plenty for a 3mm. I don't know if the European manufacturers make that size wing because it's borderline for a 5mm wetsuit, which I assume is pretty common in the Med or summer lake diving.

The next thing to look at is whether you'll be using an STA. If not then you need to make sure the wing has slots to accommodate the tank cam bands and some sort of roll control feature. This can be as simple as a plastic rod under the fabric providing a ridge along the cam band slots. Once the cam bands are tightened, everything should stay in place. You also need to make sure the slots in the wing line up with the slots in the backplate. The Tecline has long slots that should work with just about any plate. It looks like the Apeks slots are just wide enough for the webbing, so they might not work with a random backplate. If it's close, you can extend the slots on the backplate with a file.

Once you decide on the lift capacity and cam band slots, you can look at specs. For open water diving, anything from the reputable manufacturers will be fine. They have mostly settled on a 1000D Cordura outer shell with a big YKK plastic zipper and a polyurethane bladder. If you are prone to scraping the sides of wrecks, caves, or bits of scenery, then you might want to stop doing that and/or look for something with an extra heavy duty shell.

After that? They all claim their specific wing shapes are the bestest ever. Good luck trying to figure out how much truth there is to the marketing claims.

For starters
Thank you, that's helpful.

I don't want to go too big in volume but also I want to keep my rig versatile, in case I go do a liveaboard somewhere colder, that's why I'm not looking at the 10L and below.

On the STA, does it really make a difference? My understanding was that some wing will require one and some wing use something else, but overall it's the same thing it holds the tank in place.
On the apeks slot size, isn't this standardized? I would assume all brands have the same spacing/size for the holes no?

I was considering:
- Apeks WTX D30
- Tecline Donut 13 (military line)
- x-deep Zeos - needs STA
- OMS performance mono 27 black

Basically anything from a reputable brand that looks full black. The less branding the better. Any obvious choice? Xdeep and OMS are almost half the price of the Apeks and Tecline in my country :/

I wouldn't trust Aliexpress for something like a wing. A backplate or DIR harness, sure, that's hard to **** up and I can see right away if it will hold up or not. A wing, much trickier.

I got the Dive Rite Travel and Voyager with the XT shell because of the durability and that I will most likely be able to use it for the remainder of my diving career.

If I was trying to save money I’d give the DGX brand a shot.

If money was no object I’d get a halcyon. Normally I’m not a fan of the H but I was thoroughly impressed with their factory and the wings are really well made.

I live in Thailand, unfortunately DGX is not available and shipping is not an option (will likely get blocked at the border and some ****** will ask for crazy amounts of cash to unblock it).

I live in Thailand, unfortunately DGX is not available and shipping is not an option (will likely get blocked at the border and some ****** will ask for crazy amounts of cash to unblock it).

Try and find a used one or find someone to ship it to you?

I have no idea what that would entail just throwing it out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom