• Back plate and wing

Votes: 121 64.0%
  • Other, please designate below

Votes: 8 4.2%
  • Sidemount

Votes: 24 12.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing I want to note that always slightly bugs me is that a BP/W is described as a cheaper option than a BC. Maybe in the long run, but for someone looking to get wet immediately, a completely integrated BC can be much cheaper if you look for deals.

People always compare BP/ W to a top of the line BC, at around $650-$800.

My back-inflate Genesis Tropix I got online for $220. I was considering a BP/W set up, but once you add trim weights, etc. I couldn't get recreationally 1 tank wet for under ~$350.

So Ive used my Tropix (misnomer, it has 35 lbs. lift and is really too robust for a travel BC) for the past ~15 years locally, and sometimes in more tropical locations, if I can fit it in my luggage. I would prefer not to have some of the padding to be able to drop a few lbs of lead, but its not that big of a deal. And I prefer the accessory pockets on the BC, so Im happy

Dive rite Nomad for sidemount.
BPW for doubles and single.

I have 3 set-ups (Overkill for a guy who only dives about once a year or so.) and of the 3, I have only dove with 2 of them.

1. Back inflate BCD
I have a Cressi Air Travel BCD. It is exactly as the name would imply, a no frills light weight travel BCD. It is (finally) a rock solid BCD, but I had issues with it from the very first dive. I have to accept the blame for the fact that the first dive was on a live aboard and I didn't do a pool session first. The inflate button on the LPI was installed upside down and forced into place. This meant that the BCD was always inflateing, and the only control that I had was to connect or disconnect the hose. Kudos to the boat Captain for lending me and installing an LPI form one of the boat's rental BCDs. This was a short term fix and when I got home, I had to replace the LPI and now it works flawlessly.

There is, however one problem with this BCD. On land, it may only weight about 5 lbs, but in the water, it is about 4 lbs positively buoyant.

As things stand, this BCD is now hanging up and I don't use it.

2. My Primary BP/W
After my fiasco with the Air Travel, I decided to give a BP/W a try. I saw a used aluminum BP here on Scubaboard and it turned out that the seller lived about 15 miles from where I do so we arranged a face to face purchase. I got (what I am told is) a relatively rare Limited Edition blue Hog BP for $70CAD and a Timmies. I put webbing on it and a 23lb Hog wing, and I am good-to-go. This is now my go to.

3. The BP/W that I haven't tried yet
I also have a BP/W that I haven't tried yet. To be honest, at this point, it is just a BP and webbing without a wing. I was in the LDS one day & the saleman offered me a Mares XR ultralight BP for a price that was too good to pass up. I have a couple options for this. I can get a wing for it and finish it off, or I can leave it the way it is and swap my Hog wing over when I need to. Both options seem viable.

Back
Top Bottom