How Do You Do Pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMyMyOHellYes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Next Scuba development goal for me is doing Solo Diver cert in the next year or so.

I'd kinda like to get some of the gear squared away (or at least exposed to and familiarized with) and get a little water experience with it beforehand. I know that there is/are folks that eschew ponies, but where I'm at, Texas, the only "local" option for short weekend diving trips (outside of mud puddles with shallow, pronounced themoclines, and I have no interest there) is Flower Gardens Marine Sanctuary/Fling liveaboard - ponies OK - no doubles allowed.

For slung pony bottles as a redundant air source, and hanging them off of a BCD, for a right handed person, slung left or right? I'm right handed so my first thought was sling to the left. Already have the BC inflator/integrated Octo on the left... Would slinging left make that too "busy"? If slinging left, is a reversible second stage so you can route the hose from the left needed? (I will probably eventually do a sidemount setup first off may or may not make sense).

Probably thinking an AL19 or a steel hp 23 for working pony bottle (something I can easily drain and carry to fabulous warm, clear water all-inclusive resort destinations - those with a good bar - all over the world. Don't think my 40 will stow easily under the seat in front of me - but that's probably what I'd carry on Texas Gulf Coast charters where I can drive to the boat).

OMMOHY

Probably thinking an AL19 or a steel hp 23 for working pony bottle (something I can easily drain and carry to fabulous warm, clear water all-inclusive resort destinations - those with a good bar - all over the world. Don't think my 40 will stow easily under the seat in front of me - but that's probably what I'd carry on Texas Gulf Coast charters where I can drive to the boat).
When I enquired about taking a cylinder through the US it was a surcharge of US$200 on entry and again on exit. Cheaper to buy one at my destination and trash it before coming home.

I sling on the left, I’m right handed primarily, and it does make things a bit busy since I also clip my camera off on the side. A 19 is easy and not to obtrusive I sort of prefer the 13 though, I will also use a slung 40 to test Regs out on a dive. I’ve never traveled with one but many do, valve removed and checked luggage, expect to meet many TSA personnel.

When I enquired about taking a cylinder through the US it was a surcharge of US$200 on entry and again on exit. Cheaper to buy one at my destination and trash it before coming home.
This was an airline charge? US Customs? I understand that aquatic sports equipment has no import duty or tax in the US?

Is that Alexandria, Louisiana? Or Egypt?

OMMOHY

This was an airline charge? US Customs? I understand that aquatic sports equipment has no import duty or tax in the US?

Is that Alexandria, Louisiana? Or Egypt?

OMMOHY
It was the airline fee. But all airlines flight to the US from the UK were applying it. Maybe a handling fee by the ground people in the US.

Alexandria is on the southern shore of Loch Lomond in Scotland.

Two options. 1. Sling it, convention is on left side but that is largely from tech diving where they are put on left so as not to interfere with deployment of long hose. 2. mount is to your primary tank, this is a viable option I have dove with but is often derided on this board.

on the tank size, you seem to be focusing on the convenience of travel. please give more consideration to how much gas you need to execute a safe ascent. If you are doing 130 ft dives solo the gas requirements are much higher than if you are doing 60 foot dives. The redundant gas you carry needs to be sufficient to get you to the surface Safely. If you are ascending on redundant gas you should plan on breathing 1.5 to 2 times as much as your normal consumption.

First post here (Thanks Mr Chairman), but some may remember me from the UK Divers forum of old.

I've not used a Pony for a while, but I always hung mine across my chest from low right to upper left (I'm left handed). I found that the weight of the pony there was good for trim and didn't interfere with any controls.

I suspect someone will highlight why that's a terrible idea, but it worked for me on many, many dives before I went to twins for deeper diving.

M

My currently evolved travel configuration.
  • AL27 (Luxfer - fatter[5.25" dia] and very slightly shorter than my former travel "tall" AL19, but with 40% more gas) slung on the left side - clipped to a waist-belt D-ring ahead of or behind (I have both - rear "over" the backplate) my ditchable weight pocket and to a nippleish-level ring on the shoulder strap.
  • I have an adjustable bungee from the upper camband slot that I wrap around the valve and reg after clipping in, which pulls it up into my armpit area. I am essentially side-mounting it, and it pretty much disappears on the dive with no dangly.
  • Valve has a vindicator knob for quick visual status checks and the reg has a top-mounted button gauge which is checkable in-dive.
  • 2nd and 40" hose is bungee-strapped to the bottle and stays that way unless needed. It is easier to access with the right hand for deployment (leaving the left free for buoyancy-control if necessary) but can be accessed with the left too.
  • Giant-stride: Left elbow wraps the valve/reg to stabilize it and my arm crosses over my chest, to stabilize my clipped camera or light. Right hand for mask and primary 2nd.

I just did a 16-dive live-aboard trip and was very happy with it as a configuration.

With a 40 inch hose there is plenty of free-length to handle routing issues without needing a reversable or ambi 2nd.

Besides in-dive accessibility issues, a tank-mounted pony may present challenges during tank changes and may not fit into the tank-racks on boats. Slung, it can be unclipped and stowed somewhere between dives.

Figure that you will not get any fills above 3000psi when travelling so any "HP" tank is likely to have less than nominal actual gas.

For drive-to situations my AL40 will work the same way as my 27.

Since you are focusing on travel might it be easier to just sidemount? You should have no issue getting 2 cylinders at your destination, then you don't have the added hassle of bottle transport?

When I ponied (sp?) mine was slung on the left to keep long hose clear, not that it matters when solo.

I always travel with an AL19 pony. The valve has to be removed before it is allowed on an airplane. At that point, it is no longer a scuba cylinder, just a hunk of metal. I've had (almost) no issues when it was either checked or carry on.

The only problem I had was in Trinidad with an overzealous "security" dude who thought I might go berserk and bash people with it. The solution was to go to the friendly gate agent who promised the security dude he would gate check it. When we were out-of-sight, he handed the carry on back to me and I went on my way :cool:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom