How do you log your encounters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sashkello

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
(I'm sorry if something similar has been posted before or if this is the wrong place to ask. Please link me to the right case if so)

I'm a beginning diver and an avid snorkeler, who recently got a GoPro to create memories of the stuff I see. Now, I've got a couple hundred hours of videos and about a thousand underwater photos, and I'm sorting through it slowly but steadily. The problem is, I'm finding it hard to organize this material in an orderly fashion.

One of the things I'd really like to have is some sort of database of creatures I've seen, so that I can quickly find a footage/photo of a fish by its name, and have location, date and other useful parameters recorded there as well. I could just put it in folders and have text files with description tacked into each, but that sounds a bit 20th century to me... Ideally, I'd want it connected to some existing comprehensive database, so that I can synchronize it with existing data which I can check out if I want to read more about some particular creature.

Creating a list of interesting things I haven't yet seen, to watch out for on my next dive is another option, which might be integrated with this system, or come separately. So that I'd keep track of things I'd like to find and not forget it.

So, the question is, how do you store your fish classification archive? what tools do you use? what general advice can you give to make it scaleable and easy to manage?

I've even started to write some python code to make it just as I want, but it's probably a bit over my time availability and I thought maybe there's some simpler way or some existing tool for that.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom