how do you plan with a zoop with your buddies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ballastbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
the suunto zoop has a plan mode, which while on the boat during your surface interval you can use to input a depth and it will give you a maximum bottom time , taking the previous dive into consideration.

however , the max bottom time is worked out as at that minute. I want to know how to find the max bottom time for a future dive (say after lunch), or work out how long a surface time i will need to be able to dive a subsequent 30m dive for 30min

can this be done on the zoop, or on the other suunto models?
thx

a quick check of the manual indicates the zoop can not be used to plan your next dive (unless that dive is starting NOW!). it only has the ability to display NDLs for "right now". so it really does not have a dive plan capability, even though this mode is labelled "plan". marketing BS.

this restriction is similar to my first dive computer in the late 80's, an oceanic datamax. in its surface mode it periodically scrolled through the NDLs for increasing depths. not useful for planning, but useful as a pre dive sanity check on your proposed plan.

my current dive computer will allow you to enter additional surface interval time in its plan mode. but you can only plan 1 more dive. not 2. since i have only ever owned 2 different models of dive computers, i am unsure of how many dive computers actually have the ability to plan dives. that could be a good survey question.

it can't be done on any PDC I know of, but the planning is simple. You say to your buddy "how deep are we going to go?" they give an answer, then after you gear up and getting ready to splash THEN look at the NDC of the plan mode.

it can't be done on any PDC I know of, but the planning is simple. You say to your buddy "how deep are we going to go?" they give an answer, then after you gear up and getting ready to splash THEN look at the NDC of the plan mode.
that's not really planning ahead (much). doesn't werk too well when some one says "Alright then, back on the boat in 15 minutes!"

I forgot to mention the model of dive computer that i know supports planning of the next dive: uwatec aladin. Mine was made in 1995. still ticking...

On the zoop if you go into the logbook it will tell you what your average depth was for your last dive. If you take that and then use the dive tables you can get a feel for how much bottom time you can get at a certain depth after your planned surface interval. It will be conservative but it is likely the easiest way.

The only way to plan dives hours ahead of entry time that I know of is by using the PADI ERDPML (electronic multilevel dive planner). You'll learn how to use it in the PADI system if you take the 'Computer & Multilevel Diving' option in your advanced open water course. It will be conservative, but it will give you a general idea and your dive computers will adjust for that on the dive once underway.

The only way to plan dives hours ahead of entry time that I know of is by using the PADI ERDPML (electronic multilevel dive planner). You'll learn how to use it in the PADI system if you take the 'Computer & Multilevel Diving' option in your advanced open water course. It will be conservative, but it will give you a general idea and your dive computers will adjust for that on the dive once underway.
you can also do this with good old fashioned dive tables.

You've already had your question answered, but I just wanted to write and commend you for thinking about this.

Thanks tsandm!

Well if your not constrained to the zoop, Apart from the erdpml, another tool I know of the the divepal simulator. You literally draw the planned dive profile and it will give you all the info needed it runs on a tablet, its probably what the future of dive planning will look like.

Sent from my RM-914_eu_italy_283 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom