How do you preserve lobster claws?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only thing you could pick up from the bottom is garbage or litter.
Please, leave natural things in the bottom so as the next diver can enjoy it as you did.

IF it is a molt the meat is already gone and just a bit of membrane remains, if not the local insect carnivores will deal with it nicely. Down south a couple days in a fire ant mound will clean almost anything to the polished hard shell. farther north ground hornets may be the best alternative. There are also carrion beetles that will strip soft tissue quickly. Many museums maintain colonies and they may be available for purchase online.

If you intend to reposition the thing be sure to soak it for 24 hours before hand to soften the connective tissues, then position and let it dry before filling the joint with a low expansion ratio foam reinforcement.

The only thing you could pick up from the bottom is garbage or litter.
Please, leave natural things in the bottom so as the next diver can enjoy it as you did.

An example a true red herring argument if I ever heard one.

A crustacean shell bit will generally be eaten by something for mineral content within a couple days. If there is meat involved it won't take that long.

That's one impressive claw!

Leaving the claw outside will allow the flies and other bugs to eat the stinky meat. It may take a couple months before all of the meat is gone (depending on temperature, etc). Don't leave it on the ground or bury it because the shell will start to demineralize where it touches the ground, and you'll have a hole or a rotten spot on your trophy.

Don't leave it in the open where a raccoon or possum can tear it up. Put it in a minnow trap (a cylindrical metal cage) or something similar to protect it from animals while allowing the bugs to have at it. Put it far enough from the house and your neighbors that the stink won't cause problems.

After the bugs have done their job, pour hydrogen peroxide (3% solution you buy at the grocery store) into the claw. The H2O2 will clean it up nicely and ensure that all of the stink is out of it. However, H2O2 will bleach all of the color out of the claw, so don't leave it in for more than an hour or so. After the H2O2, rinse the claw really well with tap water and allow it to dry overnight. If it still stinks, try the H2O2 again (sometimes it takes a couple treatments). Once clean, if you soak it in water for a while, you may be able to reposition the claw, but I wouldn't count on it.

When it's thoroughly dry, spray it with clear-coat polyurethane (I use matte finish so it isn't glossy), inside and out (be careful spraying it inside as it will blow back at you). Follow the directions, and give it a few coats. Once it's dry, it should last a long, long time.

You're best to leave it empty, I think trying to fill it with expanding foam will likely destroy the claw.

There's a great web forum for taxidermy (taxidermy.net). They discuss all kinds of gross stuff, but they have great info.

I hope my reply isn't too late. Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom