How do YOU shoot a sunball?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheNitroxinator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There was another thread asking about the "best camera" for shooting a "sunball". I happen to like the backlit shots, too. But, I already have my scalpal (a C5050), I want to become the best surgeon possible with my particular scalpal, something that wasn't being addressed in that other thread.

Based on some suggestions, I tried using manual mode, 1/1000th shutter, F8.0, and ISO 64. I also put my strobe (a Nikonos 105) on full so I could light the objects close to me. Anyone else taken shots with a C5050, or one of the other similar Olympus cameras? I took more than the two samples attached. The first shows what I got when I pointed straight at the sun (hey, at least its got streamers, the main thing is that I know the camera can do the job). The second I moved off the sun a bit. I had other shots where I had too much kelp in the way. Keep in mind that I'm a diver who photographs, not a photographer who happens to be diving.

I could take thousands of shots to perfect this, I'm hoping to get some shortcuts so I don't have to take 10 shots of the same scene to get the perfect sunball - I really do want to see and do more than that. The two attached photos simply represent some of what I've already taken.

I'm still hunting for that perfect sunball myself! A glassy flat surface is needed to get those 'God rays'. I haven't fit the perfect exposure that doesn't have major burnout but I intend to work on it in May if the conditions are right.

I'm very cautious about pointing a digital at the sun. If you're talking underwater (as in the examples) you should be ok, but be very careful topside. Unlike film, if you burn the CCD you've ruined the camera.
As for composition underwater, I personally like to crank the exposure down to where what I get is basically black & white - I haven't had much luck getting anything I like with fill flash. I usually like the shots best where I've positioned the sun squarely on the thirds and the main subject close to the opposite third. And I usually do it with film, even underwater. Perhaps as I gain a little more confidence in what the CCD can handle without damage I'll start trying some digitals with the sun in 'em.
Rick
PS I was gonna post an example, but I just reviewed everything I've digitized and there's not one single sunball in amongst 'em... that speaks a lot towards my regard for my work in that genre... :)

I've been shooting in aperature priority mode on my 5050. For the few sunshots I have tried I've set the exposure by pointing at a darker spot on in the water and depressing the shutter half way to lock in the settings, keeping the shutter half way down I then aim and shoot the sun shot. Certainly not a very technical way to do things but I've had a couple nice results (and a whole lot of too dark or too washed out pics).

just to second Ricks warning

this is very real and have seen 2 cameras that have killed there CCD's because they burned the image into the imager from pointing it into the sun. on average it only takes about 30 seconds to start the damage and its totally dead at about 90 seconds

so reccomendation dont try sunballs with digitals

Yikes! Thanks for the warning!

When I have taken sunball pictures I just take lots of shots, moving around to get different angles, until I the moment is gone. One of them (or more) usually turns out ok.
My settings for this picture was F 6.3, 1/1000, ASA64 :

20910turtle1.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom