How do you stay hydrated during long dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deal Me In

Registered
Reaction score
this might go better under equipment, if so i assume the moderator will move it there.

he is my question. as i have stated earlier, next week i start my decompression training. one of the many things that i think about when taking on these tasks is that i will get very thirsty while doing the longer dives due to the decompression stops. is there anything on the market or something that somebody has devised/rigged at home that enables them to drink at depth. i don't recall seeing anything anywhere in publication or at an LDS. if such a product exists can somebody tell me where to get one.

thanks for your time.

Although it has not been proven, I have heard that the Camelback systems work fairly well. And you can wear it under your BP&W. The key though is that you need to get the ones that have the manual "on/off" switch on the mouthpiece, otherwise, the water pressure as you descend will force the water in your Camelback out, leaving you parched.

that is what i was thinking about two. i have one for backpacking and was thinking about some sort of one way valve. i wanted to know if anybody else has actually tried it. it has been my experience that theory and practice are sometimes a bit different.

thanks for your time

Mak, what starnge plannet do you live on where the laws of physics are so horredously warped as to allow the pressure of water to force other water out of a camelback?

If this is possible why does your head not explode as you descend? the answer is quite simple, pressure in water acts in *all* directions, that is to say the the salt water will be applying pressure of roughly equal force to all parts of the bag and tube.

As long as the mouth piece is at a similar depth to the bladder there is no pressure difference and therfore no chance whatsoever of the bladder being emptied.

dont forget also that as liquid is (as far as we are concerned) incompressible that the bladder will not even compress with depth, as the volume remains constant how will the bag get emptied?

The only thing you have to worry about is on very long dives the slight movement of water may result in a slightly salty drink. I have used on many occasions the lucozade sports soft pouches, when you want to drink remove the lid, press gently until you see a puff of orange then drink away. put the lid back when your done.

As far as drinking and even eating in the water go the lesson is: keep it simple stupid
Mike

All our dives have been under three hours but I did ok without bringing anything to drink or eat in the water. For a much longer dive I would though.

I'm told that the sport water bottles (the ones with the flip up top) work well.

Also you dont wear it under the back plate but usaly straped to a deco bottle

if you read my first post, you will see that I in no way admitted to exactly what I was talking about and that what I stated was the only way, other than that I had heard of other people doing it. Also, I know that water will not be acted upon by the pressure, however any air that gets trapped in the bag will. He asked for suggestions... I provided one.

Deal Me In:
this might go better under equipment, if so i assume the moderator will move it there.

he is my question. as i have stated earlier, next week i start my decompression training. one of the many things that i think about when taking on these tasks is that i will get very thirsty while doing the longer dives due to the decompression stops. is there anything on the market or something that somebody has devised/rigged at home that enables them to drink at depth. i don't recall seeing anything anywhere in publication or at an LDS. if such a product exists can somebody tell me where to get one.

thanks for your time.
well I guess I am stupid then because there is such a product and seems to work well. I know of at least six divers using this and it works try this link
http://www.divesales.com/cgibin/htmlos.cgi/p.a.g.e/scuda/scuda.html/001518.1.23182756667

Ok guys
I think I can help here,
Most of the time we take with us some juice with the cartoon cover and it worked very well, but the other coolest thing is and maybe some of u think that I am making it up, but I am not , a friend of mine had a plastic bag connected with a hose and this hose lead to his mouth piece , every time u want to drink u squeeze the bag and u will have water or juice inside the mouthpiece or yr mouth, and of course there is a way to open so it wont give u water every time u are going down cos of the pressure.
I hope this would help
Just one more thing that remember when u are diving a couple of hours dive and u need to drink, don’t forget that u have to pee after a minute and hopefully u have a pee valve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom