How do you store your scuba equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After I rinse (and flush the BC out) it gets laid out on a towel on my bathroom floor to dry out. BC goes in the bathtub. When its dry I pack it up in the dive bag ready to go for the next trip. BC goes on a hanger in the closet.

Brewone0to:
Nice :D
Looks alot like my storage technique(Except mine takes up an extra room)Makes wife pretty happy though.....Doesn't leave much room for any new guitars.
Believe it or not that is a well organized storage system for the gear that stays there.
Everything has a place and everything is in it.

If you look close you will see two white Zipties on the drysuit. I grab those and the suit comes out of the car ready to step into. Then as each piece of gear comes out of storage it gets put on.

Being set up like that can get me from the drivers seat to the water in less than three minutes. Now my basement is a whole different story. Thank god my wife is a diver as well. :D

Gary D.

Wayward Son:
How much did the horse trough cost? I like that better than the 2 trash cans I use. I see a future project looming...
The 2x2x4 trough was about $100-120 if I remember right. It is durable and I don't have to wad up everything to get it in the tank. Be sure to buy one with a plug in the bottom to drain it. I replace the plug with a valve and draining it is a snap.

Store it? Not in use? I'm sure glad I live in SoCal where we dive all year round. Not enough time for it to dry out!

Rick Inman:
Been sampling the stock, Mister PharmD??

If you look closely, you'll see the tank holders (similar to the ones on dive boats) built into the bed of my truck. Also, what you can't see is the brace and support between the two tanks that's latched to the back seat to keep the tanks safely secured during transportation.

To don the tanks, I remove the braces, sit down on the bumper, and off I go. At the end of the dive, I just sit right back down and let the tank rest back into the holder.

Sorry, Grier. Looks like you'll be sober tonight. :D

I hate it when that happens. I stand corrected!!! Mucho apologies...

On another note, here's the rack that Gerry mentioned. Costs just under $50 from Lowe's, not counting the flags. (Hey, I like people to know how to find our group!) I like it because it's sturdy, has lots of room for towels, bathing suits, etc, has short end pegs for fins, and is easy to make/carry/assemble.

For what it's worth, that's 1 1/4" pvc, which fits those big plastic hangers exactly. Smaller doesn't have the necessary strength and larger causes hanger problems.

I REALLY like the storage shed you built. My only concern about leaving stuff out in the garage is bugs. I just don't like the thought of things crawling in things I am going to put in my mouth or on my body :) Ya ya ya... I know, could happen inside the house also, but I have a lot more "vistors" in the garage then in the house :)

Under H2O:
Does anyone have any interesting and/or efficient ways that you store/organize your scuba equipment when not in use? Peg board? Shelves? Racks? Hooks? Hangers?

If you've got a good method, post a pic to share with everyone!

-Gerry

This issue has been covered so many times before. If I am not using my gear for a length of time...I use a plastic tub to store my gear. I hang my wetsuits using the appropriate scuba hangers...or buy a bunch of plastic hanbers and duct tape them together. I do all of this AFTER I completely rinse and clean my gear...letting it dry in a cool shady place...NOT out in the open sun.

I heard of people storing their gear in a all plastic shed bought from Lowe's or Home Depot... I was just wondering what everyone thought about storage their gear outside in the heat. I live in Florida, and I was always told NOT to storage your gear in the heat. Can anyone give some thought on this.....

While at my winter home in Maui I never really store my gear.

It gets rinsed in tubs down at the condo carwash area, then dries on the lanai/balconey. When dry it goes right back into the gearbag., after being checked, batteries charged, etc. No gear checklist needed. If the lanai is empty, then my gear is packed. Heavy stuff like lead weights just get permanently left in the car trunk.

I used to store stuff and hang up stuff, but found it was just extra work for no purpose, and then there was more added work of packing for a dive.

In my other homes, once dry it either just gets left in a suitcase in a loft, or is just hung in a closet unil packed for the next trip.

murphdivers286:
I heard of people storing their gear in a all plastic shed bought from Lowe's or Home Depot... I was just wondering what everyone thought about storage their gear outside in the heat. I live in Florida, and I was always told NOT to storage your gear in the heat. Can anyone give some thought on this.....

Always pay attention to the small things...this goes for dive gear care, cleaning and storage. The better you take care of your gear the longer it will last. I never let my gear dry out in the hot sun, the direct sun, or out in the heat...it is best to find shade and / or find an area indoors to dry out and store your gear. Why? Heat from the sun can wear out the components of plastics, neoprene and other materials in dive gear.

For example, the interior of a bc needs to be rinsed out thoroughly to clean out any residual salt water...if not, salt crystals can damage the interior of the bc which may cause an eventual bc failure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom