How do you teach new divers to stay horizontal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To most new students, being horizontal makes them feel like they are head down even if they aren't.

We are vertical beings, and it is difficult to fight what we have spent all our lives learning. If they are horizontal, they cannot see forward as easily as when vertical, which is unnatural, and most of the times they think that horizontal is about 30 degrees off from where it really is.

One thing I've found that helps is getting new students close to level from the start, and putting them fairly horizontal in the water even when they are "kneeling" have them lean forward and basically be in a fin-pivot/prone position.

Another thing that divers with a little more experience is getting them to swim around in 3feet of water. If you're only a foot off the bottom, you need to be horizontal not to kick the bottom, and not to break the surface, so they get pretty good feedback when they go out of trim. It might not get them 100% horizontal, but that's not terribly important.

Tom

I don't have a problem being horizontal, if I'm playing with a hog fish I can only do it horizontally but if I'm checking stuff in holes I rather be head down feet up very very VERY vertical.

You guys chant all day about the importance of good buoyancy? then do it.... but not just horizontal have control in any attitude.

And more than that.... if new divers want to stop and talk, rest or whatever. Take a chill and let them digest all the novelty that surrounds them. They'll have time to race and conserve energy.

oh yes... on the obsession of lowering air consumption and conservation energy also take a chill. The best way to lower your air consumption is to relax, enjoy your dive and dive often. A lot more effective method that being perfectly horizontal.

I don't know, maybe I'll ask this guy.

Attachments

• galapagos_sea_lions_5.jpg
    galapagos_sea_lions_5.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 168
I don't think anyone has said it's bad to ever go vertical in this thread (?) It's just that people usually have a harder time mastering being horizontal, and getting comfortable doing it. I don't think being horizontal and being relaxed are at opposition to one another. If someone has to got vertical in order to feel relaxed, they probably need a little more practice with their buoyancy. The idea is get comfortable enough being horizontal that it becomes relaxing and easy to maintain. I'm usually more relaxed laying down in bed than standing up. Being horizontal in the water is kind of like swimming through the water without ever having to get out of bed; at least that's what it feels like to me.

Tom

While poor instruction is probably the primary culprit here, I don't think it's fair to lay all of this at the feet of the instructors. Just look at how the industry as a whole promotes itself. For example, pick up any dive magazine and leaf through it, and you will see dozens of pictures of divers in less-than-horizontal positions, kneeling on the bottom, etc. Likewise take a look at most training materials - textbooks, instructional videos, etc. Almost all the skills are shown and/or demonstrated while kneeling.

Can you blame the recently certified diver for not knowing any better, when he or she is bombarded from all sides with images of divers diving poorly?

If you want someone to learn a certain thing in a certain way, then you have to first show it to them. New divers have no real idea what "good" diving is supposed to look like, and so they blindly imprint on the first thing they see (the Law of Primacy and all that). And of course if everybody in the industry is doing it that way (or giving the appearance of same), well then it's hardly the fault of the new divers for copying exactly what they see. You cannot expect people to synthesize good habits from a vacuum.

Note: I realize that I am painting with a pretty broad brush here. If you are not a "vertical diver", then congratulations, and the above obviously does not apply to you.

In my experience as a brand new certified OW diver the sessions at the pool were always frustrating when it came down to buoyancy control and figuring out the proper amount of weight. There was never enough time to play and experiment with them.

However, as a long term swimmer and snorkeler keeping my body in a horizontal position has not been that difficult even if, of course, I am still struggling with my buoyancy and figuring out the right amount of weight.

If those folks are really serious about diving it should come natural to them to think that a horizontal position is far better than a vertical one. If with time and practice they still do not get it then there is something missing.

Good luck

I don't know, maybe I'll ask this guy...

48621d1218253574-how-do-you-teach-new-divers-stay-horizontal-galapagos_sea_lions_5.jpg

If he could speak I'm sure he'd tell you that he's a big a proponent of your trim being parrallel with your direction of travel - which is the point. Vertical for ascents and descents, horizontal otherwise.

:blinking:

If he could speak I'm sure he'd tell you that he's a big a proponent of your trim being parrallel with your direction of travel - which is the point. Vertical for ascents and descents, horizontal otherwise.

:blinking:

Dude, that was just a silly response to your silly picture and silly answer to the question "why horizontal?" The original post stated "when not swimming", so if I'm just hanging out, why do I have to be horizontal. I agree with you about trim being parrallel to direction, way too many people here seem to think that horizontal is the ONLY attitude to have. I believe the true point, with proper trim and neutral buoyancy, you can be vertical, horizontal, upside down, sideways, anyway you want to be.

Dude, that was just a silly response to your silly picture and silly answer to the question "why horizontal?" The original post stated "when not swimming", so if I'm just hanging out, why do I have to be horizontal. I agree with you about trim being parrallel to direction, way too many people here seem to think that horizontal is the ONLY attitude to have. I believe the true point, with proper trim and neutral buoyancy, you can be vertical, horizontal, upside down, sideways, anyway you want to be.

For what it is worth, I happen to agree with you...so with that, and maybe $3.00, you should be able to get something at starbucks.

Looking for Lobster, I seem to find myself upside down a lot...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom