How does PADI define a "dive"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no quarrel with PADI's definition of a training dive. I do have strong criticism for those DM candidates who would record a 20 min dive to 20 ft or some other shallow depth as a qualifying dive for candidacy. I've heard of some who simply descend the anchor line and hang on at those depths for the requisite number of minutes. These are not DMs (or even instructors) I would want to be stuck in the water with as guides.

some dives do need to be logged as far as i am aware eg padi rescue course says the 2 dive scenario is to be logged as 4 dives( as for my reading of the manual) and if there are problems on short dives due to guests or equipment failure it can be a reason for a short dive and may teach the person more than a 45min dive hitting 120 ft.

but maybe not hahah

I have no quarrel with PADI's definition of a training dive. I do have strong criticism for those DM candidates who would record a 20 min dive to 20 ft or some other shallow depth as a qualifying dive for candidacy. I've heard of some who simply descend the anchor line and hang on at those depths for the requisite number of minutes. These are not DMs (or even instructors) I would want to be stuck in the water with as guides.

Heck. I wouldn't want those folks as dive buddies, or friends for that matter.

I've always thought that total bottom time is a more significant measure of your dive experience than total dives.

An 80 cu aluminum tank can keep me underwater 2 hours and 30 minutes when it's shallow, warm and I'm not moving much (looking at critters). Others would get 5 dives out of 2 hours and 30 minutes.

PADI and SSI need to discourage that. The 50 cu ft requirement would do that if PADI eliminated the "or" remains submerged 20 minutes criteria.

It's not realistic i some cases. On our typical skills and sometime just enjoyment dives in Humber Bay here in Toronto we stay for 50 mins at depth of 40' and we do not cross 50 cuf mark,

SSI defines a training dive as a minimum :15 duration and a minimum of 15'. Additionally, entry and exit with tank change is also required per standards.

What should those people do who do not even disconnect their wings from their double tanks for 3-5 dives :D

It's kind of difficult to set criteria exactly, in my little experience I had 2 dives with duration of 10-13 minutes, one was to 15 feet which have completely changed my views at some subjects and in the log book they have more info written than those that lasted almost an hour and a half and those which were deep.

What should those people do who do not even disconnect their wings from their double tanks for 3-5 dives :D

It's kind of difficult to set criteria exactly, in my little experience I had 2 dives with duration of 10-13 minutes, one was to 15 feet which have completely changed my views at some subjects and in the log book they have more info written than those that lasted almost an hour and a half and those which were deep.

I seriously doubt there are any agencies running BOW courses using doubles for the students.

As for your 10-13 minute dive, if it was training related, SSI has a concession which allows instructors to deviate from the standards under extreme conditions. By my standards, a dive of that duration would not count towards completion of the OW dives, regardless of conditions.

what about if you are guiding a dive and encounter problems, in my view learning from a situation in 10 mins or even 5 can teach you more than a 2 hr dive, that may just be me though, the log should reflect what occurred and thoughts about how to prevent it happening again or similar thoughts.

just my 2 cents

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but it was the most recent relevant one....

I'd like to pursue DM next year, I think. I'm currently Rescue certified.

I've been logging every dive I do, but I haven't been logging air consumption or getting any signatures on my logs (except for training dives). Is this going to be a problem?

some dives do need to be logged as far as i am aware eg padi rescue course says the 2 dive scenario is to be logged as 4 dives( as for my reading of the manual) and if there are problems on short dives due to guests or equipment failure it can be a reason for a short dive and may teach the person more than a 45min dive hitting 120 ft.

but maybe not hahah
I know this is an old thread that got resurrected but I just had to reply to this one...

I do have some dives logged that is logged for this very reason. One of them being 10 minutes, 17 meters/56 ft with a total consumption of 30 bar (360l/13 cuft).
By the mentioned standards in this thread, not a dive but this dive being a dive where the o-ring blew while under water resulting in a al80 losing almost half its content in a couple of minutes, resulting in an actual air sharing in the blue.. It was definetly more worth logging than an hour at 100 ft drifting along looking at corals and fish..

IMO it should be more relevant for a DM/instructor course than said hour at 100 ft as well..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom