How does the Zeagle ripcord system work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ksporry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Guys,
I'm interested in buying a zeagle BCD, maybe stiletto or something like that. However, I can't work out the ripcord system. I looked at their video, but all that tells you is how to rethread the system. What I'd like to know is how it actually work! It almost seems like the ripcord is holding weight pockets closed. If so, that means you are stuck with the weights unless you need to release them in an emergency.
So far I only dove with belts, and the number one advantage is that when I'm in the water, at the end of the dive, I can hand the boat crew my weight belt first, before I take off my BCD. Admittedly, I could hand the whole BCD with the ripcord system, but thinking of others having to lift it onboard (call me social...), the difference is 3-4 kg for an empty BCD without weights, versus 8+ for a BCD with weights...
Another disadvantage (assuming the above is true) is that you always have to release the weights, and rethread, maybe every day when you are diving, just to rinse your equipment. Or are you keeping the weights in there forever? In which case I would get annoyed very quickly as I have to fly to dive places, and I do NOT bring weights in luggage. And if I have to remove and replace weights every day, I very quickly would get annoyed with the system and change to a normal weight belt

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the system, hence I hope that someone can explain, as I noticed many people seem to like the ripcord system...

The ripcord holds the bottom of the weight pockets closed.

You put your weights in a weight pouch which you put in the weight pocket. The weight pocket has a zipper on the top to easily allow access to put the weight pouch in or take it out.

When you pull the zip cord to dump weights, the bottom of the weight pocket opens up and the weight pouch falls out. Easy.

I believe they are pockets also to put your weight in and out of. The rip cord is just for emergencys.

Thanks for that. That would make things a bit easier for general use

What Hawkwood said. You only use the Ripcord to drop weights in an emergency.

What may not be apparent is that there's actually two pockets - one for the weights and one in front of it for other stuff. The back pocket on each side is for the weights - Zeagle reverses the zipper pulls so you don't accidentally un-zip a weight pocket while diving.

This image shows it - the back zipper is the weight pocket. The zipper pull is hidden by the black strap near the top. It's only an issue while dry, the wing pulls the strap away while diving.

ranger.jpg

Another nice feature is that pulling the red handle drops both front pockets. Many systems I've seen you have to remove each side separately.

The yellow weight pouches. They make it handy to store your weights and for handing them up since the black straps are sewn to do that. I hand up my weights on almost every dive by unzipping the pockets from the top and removing them. They're also pretty convenient to slip your wrist thru if you're waiting your turn to re-board.

Capture.JPG

The larger size (18lb) has a velcro strip inside that segments the pocket front/back for even more precise trim. I don't believe the smaller one (12lb.) does. The 12's are standard on the Stiletto, the 18's on most of the other Zeagle line. The really small one is for the Ranger JR. I also have 20 lbs. of 3/8" lead shot that I occasionally use locally - they're ideal for that.

I've had a Ranger for at least a decade. I practice threading the Ripcord once before a dive trip but it's pretty intuitive. I pull it just to test it.

I've only seen one instance where a weight slipped thru the pocket - my buddy jumped off a dock and stuck hard into the sand - thought it was deeper. A single 1lb. bullet weight slipped thru the Ripcord when he did. He doesn't use the pouches because most times he only dives with single 3-4lb. brick in front.

It's a really good weight system. I've found several Mares weight pockets over the years. Always at/near a mooring. They always seemed to be attached with velcro.

My friend dives with a BC - don't know the brand - but it has red handles on the weight pockets that click in. She told us one trip she'd lost one diving a few weeks earlier and that same day as she was coming back in thru the surf-line the other side fell out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom