How dry is a dry suit ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drysuit dryness is like pregnancy. You are pregnant or you are not pregnant. There is nothing inbetween.
If there are leaks in your suit, then there is a faulty issue around. Either the suit or the diver is not performing as expected.
Cheers

I've noticed that when I d-off the drysuit after the second dive, I had several wet patches in my undergarments just where the inflator valve is located in my chest and also several wet patches in both shoulders, this is why I cannot blame the exhaust valve in my left shoulder. . . . What I'm concerned is related to the wet chest. Is all this normal with those using drysuits ?
As several posters have said, it does appear that there was a leak in or around the chest inflator valve. This is NOT normal. It is also not uncommon, but it can can be fixed. While the likely cause is the valve itself, it could also be a leak in the material immediately around the valve.

Drysuits should be dry, as others have also noted. One exception, of course, is when you use a suit in warm, humid air conditions, and descend to cold depths, causing some condensation of moisture inside the suit. That IS normal. And, yes, there can be some leaks around the seals (neck and wrist), where the fit is not snug, or where there may be small holes in the latex. These occur, and can (and should) be repaired.

Your descripiton of wetness in both shoulders suggets that the neck seals may be leaking. Again, this is NOT normal, but may reflect the fact that it was a rental suit, and the neck seals were fit to a slightly different neck size.

When you own your own suit, you will become very sensitive to leaks, when they occur (and they will over time), and you WILL make every effort to have them fixed. It is not always easy, but I have generally found that, with persistence, I can ID the source of almost every leak, and repair it.

The issue of leaking is also, as noted, NOT a reflection of a particular brand as much as the condition and fit of the specific suit.

My drysuit is, unless I make a user error, as close to 100% dry as youll get. Depending on the conditions there might be some condensation/sweat, but its not noticeable and not "localized".
There is times however when I either are sloppy donning the suit or adjust my outlet valve too much in combination with going too deep that it will let a bit of water in - user error though, I should know better than to set it to zero resistance on my way down to 30m :p

I have to disagree that a drysuit should be totally dry. If you have slender wrists with very prominent tendons AND you don't use dry gloves, you will quite likely have some seepage up the wrists, particularly if you have to use your hands for anything much during the dive.

Back
Top Bottom