How? GoPro tank mounted to see what’s following you.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblesong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Since diving near the Harbor seals in New England, I found it hard to get good video of Seals darting in and out of front view. However every time I turned my head to look behind me, there would be a seal’s whiskers right in my face. (When I am last in a single file line)
I’d like to have a camera on the back of my head for this, but the bubbles and head movements would be a mess.
Tank mounted? Bottom of tank mounted? (Attached after I am in water)
Ideas?

Tank mounted (not bottom) sounds goodish. I wish I had that kind of dilemma.....

Last edited:
If entanglement isn't a hazard, a mini flagpole mounted high on the tank provides a cool rear view. Far enough forward to have the top of your head for interest and off to the side to avoid bubbles. Wide angle. Lost my footage a decade ago in a hard drive crash, but it worked out quite well.

On the shoulder ? It can be oriented front or back without problems during the dive.

Last edited:
Cool. The grouper that follows you like a dog. The villain attempting to turn your air off. The benefits seem endless.

There are some GoPro strap mounts and clip mounts that may be able to attach to the tank band.... Or maybe a wide slider could be modified for a camera stud to GoPro tripod adapter? A wide slider might also provide enough surface area for an adhesive pad mount?

Just brainstorming here, but I like your predicament. I think rear view video could be really cool!

I think rear view video could be really cool!
Thank you! I have heard Barracuda also follow Divers, but other than those two species, I don’t know any other “Diver following sea life” that I can use it for.
The Gloucester area dive boats have open spots for diving near Seals in August and September, so I have time to rig something up.

I dive in the Philippines, so rear view cam may catch some Turtles, Barracuda, and maybe even Trigger fish attacking fins LOL. I may have to pursue this fear view camera idea too...

I don’t want to know what’s been following me. When I use to do solo night dives, on the deco stops, I just stared at my computer second after second until I could get the hell out of the water column.

Oohh, I can image that spooky feeling.... Where were you making those dives?

You won't catch me making a night solo deco off the Bay Area, CA.... I'd be way to spooked of Great Whites :fear:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom