How I dive..... The Fusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5'9", 195 lbs.
Cold Water Singles: DSS Medium SS BP w/ Weight Plates,

Sorry, but I couldn't find any mention of the weight plates on the DSS website. How many pounds are they?

I am also 5' 9", 195. I dive a diverite SS plate (6lbs) Steel 100hp (6lbs) and 20 lbs in pouches. But then I am a real floater.

Sorry, but I couldn't find any mention of the weight plates on the DSS website. How many pounds are they?

I am also 5' 9", 195. I dive a diverite SS plate (6lbs) Steel 100hp (6lbs) and 20 lbs in pouches. But then I am a real floater.

Different sized BP have different sized weight plates, so the weight of the plates varies. As you're 5'9" you'd probably use a medium BP & so the weights would be about 8.1lb.
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=7

PS. DSS weight plates are made to fit DSS BP's.

Last edited:
5'9" 240
Fusion w/ Tech LTD skin
MK2 jumpsuit

Fresh water
Single Steel 100 - SS backplate, weighted STA +8lbs lead.
Doubles 100's - SS backplate no lead.

Just got Fourth Element Arctic undergarments. Tried them on one dive and they were much bulkier than the MK2. While I had NO problems with cold water, I had appreciably more squeeze because I wasn't adding air since I wasn't cold. At 1200 PSI coming shallow I felt a little floaty, so I would probably add 2-4 lbs of lead to this configuration.

OK, I just finished my first dive over in salt water with MK3 underwear, a SS backplate, and an AL 80. I could not believe how much weight I needed. The difference between the MK2 that I am used to and the MK3 is night and day. I am not sure how much I ended up with by the time I finished getting things strapped on or handed to me at the end of the dive, but it was an ungodly amount -- over 30 pounds. At no time in the dive did I have a breath of air in the wing, and I put as little air in the suit as I could.

5'9" 168lb
Fusion Sport L/XL
MK2 jumpsuit over single piece 200 weight pile Lowe Alpine suit

Salt water
Single Steel LP80 - SS backplate, unweighted STA +18lbs lead on belt

This is about 9lbs more than I use in a 7mm Gold Core with chicken vest.
This was my drysuit certification dives so I have no other comparison points.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom