how long after tooth extraction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just an update on this issue... I decided to be conservative with getting back in the water, and waited 4 weeks before doing any swimming or submersion at all, and waited 6 weeks before diving. I had 2 nice dives this weekend, with no jaw fatigue or sinus issues.

As with any information on Scubaboard, I try to take advice with a grain of salt, and am most curious to see what a wide range of responses will be given. All in all, DAN is a great resource, and with anything medical, I will follow their guidelines.

Me and my husband, after our marriage, planned a trip to The Yongala – Queensland, Australia. And weeks before the trip I had to pull one of my wisdom teeth.This made my hubby very much worried since one of his colleagues told that scuba diving is not recommended once the extraction has been done.
We decided to consult about the same to our orthodontist at Oshawa Clearbrook Dental Healthcare Treatments Oshawa, Courtice, Bowmanville
When we visited, this was told by him;
Proper healing is delayed, often in smokers or older people. In such cases, air can be forced into the subcutaneous tissues by the increased pressures in the mouth during a dive. This condition could further delay the healing process and can be uncomfortable. He also suggested some types of painkiller medicines (those containing codeine, oxycodone or other narcotics) that could promote nitrogen narcosis and impair performance and judgment underwater. The consultant al that if you still have symptoms of not healing and ill-feeling , diving is not a good idea.

Also , he gave us certain guidelines for diving after dental surgeries include waiting for :
1) A minimum of four to six weeks or until the tooth socket or oral tissue has sufficiently healed to minimize the risk of infection or further trauma;

2) Medication to control pain resulting from the surgery has been discontinued and there is no risk of drug interaction with nitrogen; and

3) The diver can hold the regulator mouthpiece without pain or discomfort for a period of time sufficient to perform a planned scuba dive.

Hi there, The recovery of wisdom tooth extraction depends upon the number teeth you have extracted. I think your decision is good. My friend had also extracted his wisdom tooth in Los Angeles and dentist suggested him 48hrs to spend without any physical activity. An opening into the sinus can occur once in a while which is known a sinus hole.

Had an impacted wisdom tooth pulled recently. Laughed to myself, but was really concerned, when the Dr. said, "Don't do this" and did the Valsalva Maneuver. Didn't ask him at the time how long I couldn't do that for.

Read this thread with great interest/appreciation. Snorkeling with whale sharks (hopefully) exactly 5 weeks from the surgery. Two days later will be my first day of dives. Planning 6-7 days of diving. My concerns were the tissue healing and an opening into the sinus cavity and performing the Valsalva Maneuver (and air flowing through the tooth socket and causing trauma.) Seems like the biggest concern is infection. Hopefully there will be no issues. I am seeing the Dr. in a week for a followup and questions.

Feeling a little more optimistic about being able to dive though.

Back
Top Bottom