How long can an Al tank be filled?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim2386

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys,

I just got a super 80 tank from my dad that we got back in '99. It's only been used twice and since he can't dive anymore he wanted me to use it. Obviously it needs a hydro and inspection but my dive buddy told me this week that Aluminum tanks are only good for 10 years and then cannot be filled again. Is this true?

-Jim

Check the information stamped into the tank near the valve. If you see "DOT 3AL3000..." then the tank will be ok for hydro and VIP. They are trying to cull out older tanks that may have the 3AL stamped over another set of numbers that denote the older alloy the tank is made of. If the tank was made in 1999 it probably will have the 3AL stamped in by the factory.

Check the information stamped into the tank near the valve. If you see "DOT 3AL3000..." then the tank will be ok for hydro and VIP. They are trying to cull out older tanks that may have the 3AL stamped over another set of numbers that denote the older alloy the tank is made of. If the tank was made in 1999 it probably will have the 3AL stamped in by the factory.

I just checked and it's a luxfor and it says DOT 3AL3000....so hopefully that means I have a good tank to use now and I only have to rent 1 instead of two :)

What you buddy has more than likely heard is that many shops are not filling Al cylinders that are more more twenty years old. As that would mean they were probably made before 1988 and of 6351AL alloy. Do a search with that and you will learn more than you want.

As for cylinder at hand. If your father bought it new then you should have no problems with the requal test (aka the hydro).

Hey guys,

I just got a super 80 tank from my dad that we got back in '99. It's only been used twice and since he can't dive anymore he wanted me to use it. Obviously it needs a hydro and inspection but my dive buddy told me this week that Aluminum tanks are only good for 10 years and then cannot be filled again. Is this true?

It can be filled until it fails it's first hydrostatic test.

The hydro test is a US federal standard. Many other countries have similar requirements.

Whether or not it passes hydro is effected by how the tank was manufactured, the alloy used, how it was filled, handled and stored as well as how many fill/drain cycles it's had, among other factors.

It might be good for another month or another 30 years. There's really no way to tall before it's tested unless it has obvious external signs of failure or damage or you know it's been mistreated.

Also, some shops won't fill the older tanks (pre 1989?) regardless of any other factors.

Terry

Hi Jim 2386
Aloy cylinders have a long service life. My luxfer cylinder was manufactured in the eighties and is still going stong. It's tested every 2.5 yrs in the UK with a hydro every other test. It may also require a current eddy test which ensures that the neck/valve threaded area is'nt suffering from micro fractures/cracks.If the testing is done to the required US standards it should'nt pose any problems. Your authorised testing station will advise when and what is required. Les

Hi Jim 2386
Aloy cylinders have a long service life. My luxfer cylinder was manufactured in the eighties and is still going stong. It's tested every 2.5 yrs in the UK with a hydro every other test. It may also require a current eddy test which ensures that the neck/valve threaded area is'nt suffering from micro fractures/cracks.If the testing is done to the required US standards it should'nt pose any problems. Your authorised testing station will advise when and what is required. Les

Oops, forgot that one. Failing the eddy current test also fails the tank.

Terry

Hey guys,

-Jim

I've got 2(1 Catalina & 1 Luxfer) from '85 & '86 each, both pasted hydro last year & both passed vis last month.....good to go till next year's vis(es)..

Back
Top Bottom