How long does it take to service a reg set?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrSam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Mine has been sitting in the shop for about 2.5 weeks now. I asked her to do a complete service on the 1st, 2nd, and octo. It took her about 1.5 months just to check one of my 2nd stages..and the only thing that was done was a cleaning.

Because I do it to my own gear in my own time, I take at least half a day to do 1 first and 1 second.
A good tech could do it in half an hour, here's one.

I think you should go shop-shopping.

If I'm servicing a regulator that I've rebuilt before, I take an hour or so for a 1st and 2nd stage. The first time I do one it's usually a little longer as I have to really carefully clean everything.

Maybe this tech has a very busy life, maybe she's a secret superhero crime fighter, maybe she likes to combine regulator service with tai-chi.

If you are not diving for the next month.. It is done by tomorrow... If you needed it yesterday.. it will take a month+....

Unless it's really gunked up with corrosion and needs extra time in the ultrasonic and extra cleaning about an hour or so. I'd find another shop. Do they even service the regs or do they send them out?

Maybe she ran out of Armour All.

This is not a labor time problem. This is a queue problem. Some regulators wait in the queue until the owner takes it elsewhere,

Just so happens this is the first thing I read after finishing servicing 3 very nasty looking yard sale regs.
Low use but poorly rinsed and then stored in an outside shed down here in Florida for a good 5 years without use.
All chrome had a light green fuzz and hoses with white coating.
Insect bits in the second stages.

They were all easier regs to service.

SeaQuest Mirage flowby piston...1st and 2nd only
Oceanic fat flowby piston with Alpha and Slimline + gauges.
Oceanic D3 diaphragm with Omega and Slimline + gauges.

Luckily all came apart easily, I lucked out as they had had at least been serviced at least once before and the tech had used plenty of lube.....if these had been as they came from the factory there's no way I'd have got them apart without extreme measures.

All the metal bits got a vinegar bath, plastic and rubber parts washed and scrubbed....I even soaked the hoses.
Rebuilt using mostly the same parts for the Oceanics, I did put a new disc in the Omega and service kit for the Mirage (Aquarius II).

Total time 4 1/4 hrs.....non stop, while the metal bits were soaking I was cleaning the plastic bits.

There is a big difference in how long it takes to service a reg and how long it takes to get one returned to you. I agree with the rest, an hour or 2 is plenty for most regs. Problem is most shops do not have full time techs so it may be that they only come in once a week or maybe less. Then again some shops do not actually do their own service but ship it out for repair...not that they will tell you that. If they hold your reg until they have a box full, ship it to a remote facility that takes a week or more then ships it back to the shop, it may well take a month or 2 to actually get it back. This time of year even the best stocked shops take a little longer due to volume of work. Your best bet is to find a shop that has a full time tech on staff and keeps a good parts inventory. There are several shops that do mail in service that will do a good job.

Turn around time in our shop is usually three to four days from arrival depending on what load we have in service at the time. We service a LOT of regulators for divers all over the country. We ask when you order up service from our website that you indicate in comments box WHEN you must have it back by. If we have questions we will email you. Things that can delay service, cracked bodies, major parts replacement if we don't have in stock. Most regulators don't take long to physically service, it's the wrap around time that adds to it.

Cheers

Mine has been sitting in the shop for about 2.5 weeks now. I asked her to do a complete service on the 1st, 2nd, and octo. It took her about 1.5 months just to check one of my 2nd stages..and the only thing that was done was a cleaning.

The actual service work takes maybe 1 - 2 hours hour per stage, depending on what it needs and how thorough the tech is.

Ordering parts takes and unknown amount of time, depending on the shop and whether they're authorized service.

"Getting around to it" is also unknown, and depends on how busy they are and how much help they have.

It took her about 1.5 months just to check one of my 2nd stages..and the only thing that was done was a cleaning.

You need a new service facility.

flots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom