How many divers got hooked on scuba through Discover Scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had actually been taken diving by a friend prior to my discovery scuba experience. I always enjoyed snorkeling but didn't find the early SCUBA experience to be very interesting. It was too dark, murky and cold.
While taking a cruise in Tahiti I decided to try a Discovery SCUBA in Bora Bora. This experience was magical. Clear, blue water, warm and full of life all around. A bueatiful reef system and meeting an octopus. This is what I thought diving was about and it convinced me to become a diver so I could repeat experiences like it in other wonderful locations.
I've since become completely infected by the bug and dive environments ranging from cold freshwater lakes to those bueatiful tropical saltwater locations.

I took a discover scuba session a few years before I got certified. After, I had no desire what so ever to get certified. I didn't think about it again until my husband wanted to get certified 2 years ago. He had taken a few discover scuba sessions as a kid as well as the one with me.

I had always thought about being certified, but just never got around to it. A few years ago, while on an RCCL cruise to the western Carib, we stopped in Cozumel and offered a Discover Scuba class as a tour. I took the class and immediately became enthusiastic. I went home and immediately got myself certified.l

Walter,

"I'm not convinced they are an overall positive factor in getting people excited about diving."

That was the quote I disagreed with.

It is true that a Discover Scuba for a very small number of people may not be a positive result in generating interest in Scuba however I do feel feel that Discover Scuba is positive for many more people and does generate enough interest for people to investigate further.

The natural question I would have for you is:

If Discover Scuba overall is not a positive factor in getting people excited about diving then what is?

BTW I'm not suggesting Discover Scuba is perfect (it isn't and I have seen it go wrong once or twice but then again I have seen more smiley faces after a DS session than not).

Last edited:
My very first dive was a resort/DSD adventure in St Thomas. Both my son and I were certified within a couple of months.

I now teach DSD in the pool at a local dive shop. Within a few minutes, I can tell if the discover student will be back for an OW class.

Generally, I can't get 98% of them out of the water! The remaining 2% can't wait to get the gear off and get out of the water.

Nearly all of the ones who don't like it come to the pool with a significant other who really wants to dive. Sometimes I have to spend time with the significant other suggesting to them to take it slowly with the reluctant partner and perhaps take them snorkeling. Some of the other reluctant ones just need to sit in 4 feet of water with no fins on and just breathe underwater.

Not me,J.C.(blessed be his name) got me, as a kid I've seen all the television shows and went on dreaming,trying to make my own gear.Looooong snorkel(snorkel on a garden hose,heck I found out first hand they DON'T work.:no:Even tryed it with a (foot)pump,the ones you use for inflatable beds.:rofl3:

When I turned 15, I had to go to highschool,:confused: and there was this fellow student who did SCUBADIVING.Heck a dream came tru and I joined the club.Hooked for ever.Well it beats drugs I can tell ya.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom