How many have seen dolphins on their dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have! On a research dive in Bonaire. My buddy was observing a pederson shrimp cleaning station and I was hanging around amusing myself when I happened to look up and a group of five bottlenose dolphins swam slowly, silently past, maybe 10 yards from us. It was absolutely one of the coolest moments of my life!

The bottle nosed dolphins we saw were all scratched
up. They had large hash marks all over themselves. Anyone know shat would have caused that?

The bottle nosed dolphins we saw were all scratched
up. They had large hash marks all over themselves. Anyone know shat would have caused that?

Dolphins will rake their teeth over each other as territorial and dominance behaviors.

It becomes a real problem in captivity where it leads to 'bullying' because the dolphin being raked can't leave. In the wild, they generally separate themselves from the issue.

Saw a small group off Laguna Beach while swimming out to the drop point once, never saw them while under water.

Only once while underwater. Many times from the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On probably my tenth dive. We were diving in Rangiroa and they appeared in the blue. We went out to meet them and they spent several minutes playing with/around us. At one point, I thought they had gone when I looked down at my fins and one was just beneath my feet, belly up and watching me. I had no idea how unique that was.

Two weeks ago in PCB I was freediving for Sheepshead and Almaco Jacks and my wife asked me when I came back if I saw the dolphin? And I said no!?
Apparently he/she followed me everywhere I went for around 15 minutes and every time I dove down it followed right behind me.
I had around 40' of vis that day and never saw it, clever to say the least. It was probably trying to figure out how to pluck these off my back where my stringer was attached to my belt.

a99e7860110fda20fd830eb131257328.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a single freaking time! Feel almost like asking a refund for diving lessons. :)

Had 13 of them stay with us for over 20 minutes while diving. What was really cool was the three divers we had only had 6 dives. They must of thought this happens everyday. I loved the way one was swimming upside down looking up at me. They loved the sound of the scooters. Only happened once so far here in Maui right off the beach at Makena Landing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom