Question How many messages have you posted on SB as a multiple of your total lifetime dive count?

User SB Messages / Total User Scuba Dives?

• 12,500 times +

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • >= 1,000 times < 12,500 times

• >= 125 times < 1,000 times

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wanted to see what the how many tragics go on SB more than dive, likewise I was interested in the average diver use of posted messges.
So you find it tragic if someone has the time to check up and participate in a forum about one of their interests (which can take mere seconds) but doesn't nearly as often have time to gather gear, get to the site, execute the dive, and recover their gear?
Or is it tragic that not everyone can eat/breath/sleep diving 24/7.
Is it tragic that I keep biblical priorities (God, spouse, kids, work.... in that order) resulting in not often having a full day to give to diving.

I find it tragic that you seem to think posts to dive ratio is a reason to demean people.

With all due respect,

James

So here is a quick question for @Heat Miser. How would you rank the following hypothetical divers in terms of their qualifications for making meaningful contributions to scuba discussions?

Diver A: Diving for 3 months. 12 dives. 3 posts. 4/1 dive to post ratio​
Diver B: Diving for 30 years. 100 dives. 50 posts. 2/1 dive to post ratio.​
Diver C: Diving for one year. 20 dives. 20 posts. 1/1 dive to post ratio.​
Diver D: Diving for 6 years. 300 dives. 300 posts: 1/1 dive to post ratio.​
Diver E: Diving for 25 years. 2,000 dives. 30,000 posts. 1/15 dive to post ratio.​
I'm guessing you think Diver A would be the most valuable voice. Would that be right?

I wanted to see what the how many tragics go on SB more than dive, likewise I was interested in the average diver use of posted messges.
This post makes no sense. "what the how many tragics"? Huh? Spell check and proofreading would help before posting.

This post makes no sense. "what the how many tragics"? Huh? Spell check and proofreading would help before posting.
He (or she) is using "tragic" in the current, slang, insulting fashion. From urban dictionary:

tragic

used to describe a person who lacks any sort of self-awareness or conception of how others perceive them; often characterized as woefully oblivious to their gaping flaws, which prevent them from achieving others’ respect or appreciation. A tragic person (see: trag) typically engages in behaviors that they wrongfully believe to be iconic, while most external parties find these antics cringe-inducing and/or trite. To refer to someone as “tragic” is an all-encompassing derision that asserts a person’s utter lack of redeemable qualities, coalesced by physical unattractiveness, dullness, incompetence, ill temper, social ineptitude, and idiocy.

Ironically, his (or her) post (within the general mores of this forum) definitely exhibits " dullness, incompetence, ill temper, social ineptitude, and idiocy".... I cannot speak to his "physical unattractiveness", having never seen him (or her).

So here is a quick question for @Heat Miser. How would you rank the following hypothetical divers in terms of their qualifications for making meaningful contributions to scuba discussions?
Diver E: Diving for 25 years. 2,000 dives. 30,000 posts. 1/15 dive to post ratio.​
Hi @boulderjohn

That's pretty close. I've been diving for nearly 26 years, 2,257 dives. I've been on SB for coming up on 19 years and have been a moderator for the last 6 1/2. I have 18,166 posts and 16,272 reactions.

So, I'm in the middle of the highest post/dive ratio that anyone has checked so far at 8 to 1 and I only have about 90% as many reactions as posts. I should probably give it up :)

I'm a way less experienced diver than a lot of the folks here, but I would imagine a lot of the posting to diving ratio is going to be down to whether you are a travelling diver, who talks a lot about it and wishes they were diving more (me), or if you live somewhere with good diving and so have the luxury of being able to dive more than talk about it.

As I close in on fifty logged dives, I honestly don't think number of dives necessarily translates to being a "good" diver per se - I will see divers who just got certified with better trim/buoyancy/safety attitude than some DMs with hundreds of dives. I think I ascribe more to the variety and diversity of diving experiences, combined with a learning attitude tend to contribute to the most rounded diver. I have learned so much from the non-flashy divers on this board who I have reached out to 1v1 and discussed topics in more depth.

I don't necessarily think post volume indicates anything about a diver other than that they have time and desire to post about diving. I ventured into the Pub forum and after 5 minutes of reading decided I'd rather stick to diving posts.

I don’t understand the question, when I started diving this was a P.C.
IMG_3017.jpeg

this was a scientific calculator
IMG_3018.jpeg

posting was putting a garage sale notice on a fence post.

I'm just a little over 3 times as many. We don't dive much during the winter so I have more time to read and post on SB. Now, my average post per year since I joined SB is 137, if that means anything.

Don’t know…I have no accurate measure of lifetime dives. Since I started in 1959, at age 14, there are a lot of dives out there. :wink:

SeaRat

Back
Top Bottom