How many of u use a snorkel ?

Do u use a snorkel ??

• Yes I do use a snorkel

Votes: 110 46.6%
  • No I don’t use a snorkel

Votes: 126 53.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always have a snorkel. I find it most helpfull during the return on beach dives and back to boat. I also use the same masks for snorkeling and am more comfortable not changing equipment whether diving or snorkeling. The comfort thing I guess.

I wear one just because it was implied in the coarse I took that it was part of the gig. Implied and assumed thoughts can get you in trouble sometimes. I use to think free diving meant going commando until....... well nevermind.

Most of my dives are boat dives, so I don't really feel that I need it.

Nevertheless, I have one that can fit into my BCD pocket, in case I do wish to use it.

Ari :)

I don't normally carry a snorkel during a dive unless doing a course. I do admit though that sometimes having one could have made things easier for me in certain situations.

For instance, I did a night dive about 3 years ago. At the end of the dive, the motor engine chose not to start. So, I had to swim back to the shore, which is just under 2 miles away. Because the last half-mile or so was very shallow, I had to go face down to see what's underneath and make sure I don't get scratches and worse, sea urchin spines on my back. Turn around again because it's easier to swim backwards. Having a snorkel around would have allowed me to swim face down effortlessly. :)

I dont carry a snorkel for any boat dives and usually dont carry it for beach dives nether. Unless i plan to snorkel for a few hours after diving.

The only real time i carried a snorkel while diving was this one dive spot in Rhode island there called "greenbridge".

During the months of august and september the water is 20fsw with 75ft vis and warm enough to dive in shorts. Yes believe it or not.

Anyway the entry point is in a shallow cove with a good 200yrd+ swim to diveable waters. So i will usually snorkel the entire distance out there then dive.

A snorkel isn't exactly the most useful piece of gear when you are diving in Wisconsin in the winter. It's kinda hard to push it through the ice to get to the air.

Other than that, I don't ever use a snorkel...unless I know I'm going to be swimming a really long distance or something (why do that??? just move the boat for crying out loud). I use it more during my si's just goofing around.

If you plan to do any beach diving at Laguna Beach CA, you will need a snorkel if the lifeguards or local police ask. It is a city ordinance and I have heard of citations being issued. I have had to get out of the water and get a snorkel to continue my scuba dive. Strange but true.:confused:

Kinda strange...I've never seen a snorkel as this amazingly critical piece of life saving equipment in relation to scuba diving. To each (city) his own.

wazza once bubbled...
Do u use a snorkel ??
and is it import in every dive???
If yes why and if no why ??

What's a Snorkel? :wink:

Seriously.. Haven't used one in a while.. Besides its nearly impossible to use while using a rebreather and no reason to...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom