How many of u use a snorkel ?

Do u use a snorkel ??

• Yes I do use a snorkel

Votes: 110 46.6%
  • No I don’t use a snorkel

Votes: 126 53.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry my reply has taken a while.
The snorkles without a working purge trap water
in the u bend, Divers used to this inconvenience use a blow ,suck breathing method, as the inexperienced snorkler
inhales they inhale some of the traped water.
This has led to quite a few recorded fatalities.
Not only a big gasping breath but a slow intake of water
will cause problems.
I only endorse snorkles with purge vallves for children and
novices.

I suppose...I never really thought about it that way at all. Guess I'm just used to using a snorkel. The most I use it though is when I'm playing around on my surface intervals. Heh.

don't like it. sometines makes my mask leak and feels like it is dragging when there is strong current. i am thinking about a foldable one for my pocket. it would come in handy in an emergency (lost at sea etc.)

I don't, I hate it when some peep kick it and my mask is fall off. But in order to save air; I use my buddy oct while he face down and use his snokel lololol

Hehe...that is sooo funny =)

I dive off ga. we have to go at least 25mi. offshore.
so I always wear a snorkel and a wetsuit ,just in case I come up and the boats not there.

Many years ago when I was a new diver I was on a charter wreck dive off North Carolina and while we (there were 6 of us) were on the wreck the boat broke free of the anchor and drifted off, only to have an electrical failure and be unable to come back for us for 6 hours. (Actually the Coast Guard came) That was in the early horsecollar days and after floating for quite a while the tanks were ditched , the horsecollars deflated, and we floated face down leisurely for hours while we finned towards a distant bouy. That would not have been possible without a snorkel, and fortunately we all had one. Since that day I never dive open water without one. I don't wear it on my mask, for years before the recent release of folding snorkels I had a modified knife pocket on my thigh to hold my snorkel while using my regulator. The folding ones have now replaced the need for the pocket, but if you get one try it before you have to depend on it, some of them are pure crap at best. Oceanic makes a nice one. :doctor:

Can't be arsed reading through all these messages so sorry if this has already been said.

I worked in Oz and it was required that at all times you had your snorkel and mask in place when you're in. Now I'm in Thailand and it doesn't matter if you do. In fact quite often, out of 20+ divers I'm the only one with a snorkel.

It comes in handy to save a few breaths of air which might be life savers. Come's in handy for surface swims, especially useful in choppy conditions. Must admit it is a pain in the arse and get's in the way now and again on the LEFT side, but isn't that the same with scuba gear in general but we just get used to it.

Yeah and don' t descend with fun divers with your snorkel in. It doesn't look too professional at 3m doing a snorkel reg exchange, doh.

D

Don't use one. I find it much more comfortable to just surface swim on my back.

I actually had to spend about 15 minutes searching for mine to take to Turks in case I wanted to snorkel (which I did).

Back
Top Bottom