How many of you here practice apnea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The reason why I thought that I was using up air too quickly was because I'm the guy who practices in the swimming pool at least 1 or 2 every week whereas the people I dove with only did so whenever there were sea trips (which weren't as regular as my pool trips) and yet they had more air than me when we came up.

I seem to breathe pretty fast even during pool sessions too so it has nothing to do with the environment and was wondering whether it was more of a mind thing rather than physical need. Thought that perhaps practicing apnea would somehow condition MY mind that it can get away with less puffs.

---------- Post added July 19th, 2013 at 07:17 AM ----------

Slowing/skipping breathing is a "supply" solution, but gas consumption is a "demand" problem. Here's my "to do" list for decreasing the amount of gas your body consumes.

• Dive more (Trying and still working on getting every possible bit of water time)
  • Slow down (I've watched myself on quite a number of videos and compared myself to others (like the GUE ones) on YouTube, don't find a noticeable difference in speed of body movement)
  • Get more comfortable in the water (Already very comfortable so much so that at every dive, I can't wait to get into the water and after I come up on land, I long for the next dive)
  • Slow down
  • Get your weighting dialed in (Weighting's fine. Not much to worry about when I don't use weights since my kit and I are already negatively buoyant)
  • Slow down
  • Get into horizontal trim (Trim's fine too as confirmed via videos)
  • Slow down some more
  • Stop paddling with your hands (Don't use them at all unless it's to grab some coral for sale. Just kidding. No hands, trust me)
  • Slow down even more
  • Adopt more efficient kicking style (Using frog kick most of the time and glide often enough)
  • Did I mention slowing down?
  • You're still moving too fast. Slow down just a bit more (Ok, I'll continue working on that)

Thanks RJP. Replies in red.

Reactions: RJP
Went for 3 sea dives on Sunday. I noticed that I tended to breathe less in the sea. Probably because in the swimming pools, I needed to breathe more often because of the exertion during pool cleaning or skills practice so with all the practice that I'd done (and still am doing every few days), a lot of them become second nature in the sea and most of my concentration was only between the eyes and brain as I glided and finned about in slow motion enjoying nature.

Reactions: D_B
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom