How many of you really like to dive with a snorkel on your mask!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can take it or leave it. not really a burden or advantage (until its needed). people make way too much of this piece of equipment, almost as vehemently as the "backmount" versus "jacket" debate.

For me I HATED the snorkel being in the way of everything I wanted to do.... Until one day I came up from a dive and had to wait on the surface for 10 minutes in some seriously choppy water , never again will I dive without a snorkel of somesort.

For me I HATED the snorkel being in the way of everything I wanted to do.... Until one day I came up from a dive and had to wait on the surface for 10 minutes in some seriously choppy water , never again will I dive without a snorkel of somesort.

100% agree re water conditions.
So much more comfortable in choppy water.

Never really experienced any negatives with having a snorkel as part of my normal kit.

That is why you keep one in a pocket.:D It stays out of the way until you need it.

if you're waiting on the surface for a boat, there's not really a need to conserve gas right? So, can't you just use your regulator? Better yet, if the water is terribly choppy, could you deploy a surface marker and go back down 10' and wait for the boat to come?

---------- Post added December 3rd, 2014 at 05:53 PM ----------

my snorkel is in my gear bag, where it lives now, and will stay until my wife wants to use it for an OW class. Granted, I almost exclusively dive caves now and there is no one who would argue that you should wear a snorkel in a cave, but I've never used it in OW except during my initial training. At this point, I'm more inclined to see it as a potential hazard than a safety device: not useful under water where the greatest risk is; a snag hazard to deploying my long hose (sidemount) in the case of an emergency; to me it's primary function is to help random obstacles pull your mask off.

A snorkel is essential as a conversation starter while cave diving.

I just need to remember to switch back to the regulator when I start my descent.

+1. never had much use for a snorkel till I was doing a long (1/4 mile +) surface swim on Cayman Brac recently. then I found it really handy.

For most of the shore diving here there is tons of bull kelp(there are some sites with enough kelp I think about bringing a machete just to get in the water) on most dives so I see it as an entanglement hazard more than anything. So it stays in my pocket unless needed.

I think that after reading most of the replies I decided to use my snorkel as a sleep aid. MY new anti SNORING DEVICE, just stick it in your mouth and you should automatically stop snoring!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom