How many reps to do when strength training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luvturtle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What is the proper amount of reps to do for each strength training/weight lifting exercise?Also how many times a week?I do use an eliptical machine most days for 20 mins 4 to 5 days a week.But I feel I could use some more muscle toning.Oh yea 1 more question When lifting weights how is your breathing supposed to go?breathe in when lifting or out?Thanks

luvturtle:
What is the proper amount of reps to do for each strength training/weight lifting exercise?Also how many times a week?I do use an eliptical machine most days for 20 mins 4 to 5 days a week.But I feel I could use some more muscle toning.Oh yea 1 more question When lifting weights how is your breathing supposed to go?breathe in when lifting or out?Thanks

For mass, 5-8 reps. For tone/endurance 8-12 reps. Keep in mind the reps are intended to be done properly, no cheating and should be done to muscle failure. Sadly, most folks can't push themselves that hard and to be done safely requires a lifting partner.
When starting out you should do the entire body 3 times per week. Split routines are advanced routines typically used by a lifter doing mutiple exercises for a muscle (group).

No, I am not a personal trainer but I've been lifting since I was about 15 years old and have had the pleasure (?) of training with some hardcore sickos ...:D

Additionally, it's possible the addition of weight lifting to your training regimen might effect your eliptical training. Proceed carefully to avoid injury and time off.

Exhalation should be done upon exertion. For example, with pushing exercises, such as a squat or decline seated leg press (hammer strength) you should breathe out when you are pushing off with your legs. Contrastly, when performing pulling exercises such as bent over rows or seated rows, breathe out when you pull the weight toward you.

The important thing is to ALWAYS BREATHE, NEVER HOLD YOUR BREATH, just like in diving. Hope this helps. :sprite10:

There is a site on the net, can't find it ATM but I'll keep looking, it says if you lift weights, you lift weights. There's no certain amount of reps to get lean and there's no certain amount of reps for getting mass. Lean comes from your diet. Diet being what you eat. The less body fat, the more lean.

Think about it. Obviously, the more you lift weights, the more muscle you gain, meaning you would have to lose less weight to get the lean look. Hope this helps.

So, I enjoyed the site, read about the L-Ariginine I have just started taking. (it seems to have mad a difference, I will never know...too many variables)

One question on the rep/ tone thing. If this is so, why do certain types of atheletes have long muscles (yoga) VS the bulked up look of a weight lifter? Stretching? Because now I am hearing there is no evidence about the benefits in relation to injuries, which really flys in the face of the conventional wisdom.

catherine96821:
So, I enjoyed the site, read about the L-Ariginine I have just started taking. (it seems to have mad a difference, I will never know...too many variables)

One question on the rep/ tone thing. If this is so, why do certain types of atheletes have long muscles (yoga) VS the bulked up look of a weight lifter? Stretching? Because now I am hearing there is no evidence about the benefits in relation to injuries, which really flys in the face of the conventional wisdom.

Weight lifters continuously increase their weight. As with Yoga and such, you may increase IF your using some sort of medicine ball etc, but it's not to the extent of what a weight lifters do. Most Yoga I've seen is stretches and muscle stimulation with your body weight as your weight system :)

I'm neither a Yoga person nor a body builder, I'm just going by what I've seen and heard from personal trainers!

luvturtle:

My return to the forum after a long absence and a good question, so let's see:

Reps
It depends... For most intents and purposes you should be ok between 6-10 reps. Depending on your goal, you should either decrease the number of reps (as in strength, max power production) or increase it (strength endurance, tension endurance) Keep in mind that for you to engage in the lower numbers, your neuromuscular system has to be conditioned.

Frequency
In general, 3 times per week is optimal for most people, again, depending on their goals. It is very common for athletes to engage on 2-3 workouts per day (skills & conditioning) 4 or more times per week. You must be careful to monitor yourself and do not hesitate to cut back if you start to overtrain.

Breathing
Holding your breath under resistance has received so much attention that it has mislead people from understanding it properly. Should people hold their breath when lifting? Let's look at some facts; Holding your breath (valsalva) is a VERY NATURAL reaction of the body when it encounters significant resistance or near maximal loads. Have you ever tried to push a car uphill? Or push a person in the opposite direction? You will notice that you tightened your body and held your breath without thinking, your body knows what to do. And why would this be? Simple, our trunks are at their strongest when the air is held inside. This is known as the pneumatic belt, and is something well known among those involved in serious strength training. Let's put it in a lab type example. Think of the trunk as a water bottle 3/4 full with water. Blow some air in the bottle and tighten the cap inmediately. You will notice you can put a significant load on top the bottle and it will stay solid. This is how hydraulic lifts work. Now with the load still on top, punch a hole in the bottle to let the air out, you will notice how the bottle starts to bend and collapse. The combined tension created by the two pressures (air is compressible, water is not) is how Valsalva helps us stay solid and protect our spines under heavy loads.

With all that said, should you be holding your breath? It depends... If you have a history of hypertension, taking medications for any type of cardiovascular condition, or suffer from glaucoma, then you should not be holding your breath under a load, then again, if you suffer from those conditions, you should not be lifting heavy weights in the first place, which is the condition in which valsalva is engaged. For most recreational type of training in which the reps are between 8-12, the resistance is so light, that engaging in breathing patterns is irrelevant. Instead, focus on the quality of your lifting and the rest wil take care of itself. Later!

Back
Top Bottom