How much air in a low filled HP80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sheck33 once bubbled...
what i was trying to say is the following, if i fill a tank to say 3800 PSI, close the valve, take it to the beach and then i attach my SPG it might give me a 3500 PSI reading, you can use any formula you want but the amount of air, as in the amount of air molecules, is the same.

Dmdalton, your statement is incorrect:

When the temperature rises the pressure rises in a scubatank, the volume however does NOT change, the volume is fixed since the tank is a RIGID metal container.

Also dont forget that the SPG is a pressure gauge and NOT a content gauge.
).
You are correct, I mis-spoke (my whife would love to hear that) :rolleyes:

Volume was the wrong word to use. Volume (water capacity) of a tank does not change with temp. Volume (molecules) of the air inside the tank also does not change. Free air delivery (thank you Omar) does and that was what I was after.

Also correct that SPG is a pressure gauge (hence it's name "submersible pressure gauge") however it is converted to a contents guage through the dive planning process (today I am diving double tanks that combined hold a total of 190 cu ft @ 2640 psi, therefore when psi is at 1000 psi I will have 72 cu ft of air left).

Dave D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom