How much coral damage do you see?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I try to set a good example at all times, when I am diving with my camera and when I am not. Then if I see another diver kicking the coral, I try to let them know underwater to lift up. I then approach them on the boat afterwards and tell them that I was sure they didn't realize they were doing it... even though I know they did. And when I see someone making an effort to keep their fins off the coral, I always praise them back on the boat. If you are nice about it, you can teach people how to be better divers.

me, fin tips up!
110404_RobinAtWork_0323.jpg

110404_Reef_0317.jpg

If you set a good example, it makes a difference to the newbies !!!

One thing I'd like to see is more divers using the "modified frog kick" method of propulsion more often, though I find I need to use a variety of kick styles ( or no kicking at all in some areas, as Mossman pointed out ) when navigating the various formations inherent to Cozumel.
When I first certified, supposedly there was only one proper way to kick. Standard scissor kick. That's all I learned.

My first time in the cenotes, I was taught to use a modified frog kick. What a revelation! That's about all I ever use now, unless I need to be somewhere in a hurry. Watching divers stir up sand and silt bothers me almost as much as watching them kick the crap out of corals.

Back
Top Bottom