How much does shark sightings change your dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R-balljunkie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I dont know what it is, but on the last 4 dives, I've been harassed by multiple sharks. I dont know if its the "time of the year" or what. I like to collect fish for my aquarium, and mostly go down to around 130' to collect certain species. Its hard enough to focus on netting fish at these depths.....throw in a half dozen sharks trolling the slopes and i cant keep focus on my task and end up blanking out, finishing my collecting early on.On other dives, where im focused on taking photo's at shallower depths, I've noticed loads of sharks buzzing closer to normal. This doesn't bother me as much as seeing sharks when im +100', not really sure why the psychology is different.Back to my original question....does seeing sharks while you are diving change your dive?

I dont know what it is, but on the last 4 dives, I've been harassed by multiple sharks......Back to my original question....does seeing sharks while you are diving change your dive?

If and when you're really getting "harassed", yes, then you will notice that it changed your dive.

Until then, it doesn't sound like it changed it very much, so far... even though you were in shark infested waters.

A lot of tourist divers who are in a rush will spend big money to think they are being harassed, so count yourself as fortunate.

Last edited:
If its coming towards me with its mouth wide open teeth showing I figure its harassing me so would show concern, otherwise I just check occasionally as they go by. Yes its psychological. I suppose if you are netting they can sense the fish panicking so show interest. I don't spear fish for that reason (as well as not wanting to take fish anyway).

The one that gets you, you will never see, you will feel it first.

Doesnt change anything, I actively seek out shark hotspots. The more sharks the better.

absolutely, seeing sharks definitely changes my dives, it makes it much better. I thought a shark was charging me once, and it turned at the last minute, turns out some sharks cant see straight ahead so to be able to see you they swim at you then turn their head. you might find this un nerving but they just want to say hi.

I use air faster because I am trying like crazy to get in a spot to take a better photo!

It depends on the shark, and what it's doing. If it's in a threat display, I leave the area. If it's an Oceanic White Tip, I leave the water. Otherwise, they are beautiful animals and I enjoy watching them.

My most thrilling experience with sharks was with Oceanic White Tips in the Red Sea. At some times had them circling and brushing my jetfins, next I had to fend them off with the camera housing so decided time was ripe to get out of the water. Got some nice slides of shark noses smeared on the lens port, though :) :p

Then I read Cousteau's book about his encounters with Oceanics in this region and figured out that sometimes ignorance is a bliss :)

A couple of years ago had consequent attacks on snorkellers during live aboard safari and also swimmers close to shore- some were 100% for sure Oceanics, some not identified could be attributed to Mako. Both types were sighted frequently by divers on sites close to shore (I think photos and encounter accounts can be found in soundboard red sea forum).

Moral of the story- Oceanics are not an animal one fools around with... Better give them their dutiful respect...

Sent from my myTouch 4G

Depends entirely on the species of shark involved

Makes me smile a lot and flood my mask, but other than that the shark sightings I've had haven't impacted me much. I'm not spearing or collecting though, so maybe I would feel differently if that were the case. As far as I know the only sharks I've seen have been nurses and black tips, which aren't exactly aggressive either.

Back
Top Bottom