How much dry caving did you do prior to cave diving?

How much dry caving did you do prior to cave diving?

• None

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • Tourist Interest

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Prior Dry Caver

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Current Dry Caver

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok guys, I am definitely getting the impression not too many of you have been inspired by dry caves prior to cave diving :rofl3:

whomever is the current dry caver in the poll, please pm me :bounce4:

I have done tourist caves everywhere they were available that I have gone in my life, including the longest cave system in Europe. I love caves, and always have. But the physical challenges of dry caving have always daunted me. I am not a climber, am not particularly strong, and break bones very easily. I marveled at what dry cavers do and accomplish, but never really aspired to join them.

Finding out you could SWIM in caves (thus defeating gravity) was an utter, total and immediate inspiration. From the first cave diving video I ever watched, I knew this was something I wanted to do. And to date, no cave dive has disappointed me, and I always thank the water for making gravity irrelevant. The planning and the skills to enjoy water-filled caves ARE within my capacity (unless you talk to my C2 instructor :) ).

So, I would say I was inspired by dry caves, but unable to pursue it until gravity was negated.

I've done several narly and natural caves in SE Arizona. Awesome times back when I was rock climbing and spelunking in my younger years.

Trimix and deco training this season, cavern next year and cave in 2-3 yrs. At least thats the goal

When I was in college I joined some outdoorsy club and one of the outtings was a spelunking trip. That was the one and only time I've been spelunking.

We had to entered via a rabbit hole blind going feet first....:shakehead:...crawled on my stomach over red clay to get through some tight restrictions, at some points in the cave we encountered lots of bats, shimmied down a vertical drop by rope, tracked through water and mud. Coming out of cave completely covered in red clay from head to toe, I knew I NEVER want to be in a cave again!!

Fast forward to 2008 and I find myself back in a cave during a guided cenote tour and I was HOOKED. Been back to the cenotes every year since, and this year I started diving in FL caves!!!!

So I don't know how to answer in the poll given there isn't an "Once and NEVER again" option. :D

None at all, although back in the days when I was climbing quite a bit, people assumed that if I climbed, I must be interested in caves too. They always looked so muddy....

Some people will say I am crazy... but I think dry caving exposure should be a requirement to complete full cave...

:popcorn:

Why, Tegg? I do think that knowing something about the geology and hydrology of caves is a good thing for a cave diver, but what do you think someone would learn from dry caving, that would make them a better cave diver?

I'm curious about the reasoning behind that as well Tegg. Care to fill in the blanks a bit?

I went to the Mariana caverns when I was a kid and a cave here and there as well. Oh and Devils Den does that count? :) I wouldnt be opposed to dry caving just havent done much of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom