How much have you spent on training and dive equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm probably at around 6k-7k for just gear and training. I'm working on divemaster and then going on to instructor, and I'm getting into servicing equipment in order to reduce my long term costs. The sad part is I want to get into tech so I need to keep the flood gates open with the cash.

Spring of 2020, I decided to sign up for scuba lessons. Life long bucket list engaged. I decided that I was in a position to buy everything I would need to scuba dive. I bought my mask, fins and snorkle, when I registerered for my class. Shop guy had me try on a rental drysuit to see what size I would need. The smell of the rental, convinced me I needed to order my own suit. I decided that in order to only buy once, cry once; I wanted gear that would grow with me.
Then the whole world ended, and Covid shut down all the pools. I still did research and decided that using the gear list for the SDI Solo and PADI Self Reliant courses, would be what I needed. Before my OW even started, I had dropped around $9.5K Cdn. Some gear new, some used. Almost 2 yrs later, I still dive with the same gear, some of the items have been updated or replaced due to being lost. Couple of more courses later, (PADI AOW, SDI Solo) and some lost gear replaced, later; I a sitting around $12K Cdn, total. I buy an Air Card at my LDS for $250, and I get unlimited air fills for a yr, for my 2 100CU Fabers and my 30CU Catalina pony. Shearwater Peregrine is my primary comp.

Attachments

• finding Nemo, dive gear.jpg
    finding Nemo, dive gear.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 23
I forgot about the exposure suits, my number just went up

I can definitely justify the cost vs renting the same gear. ~3k vs $50-75/day, not hard to have saved after a few years of diving 2-3 weeks a year.

The only thing I haven't bought yet is tanks. Maybe when I can dive any time I feel like it I'll buy some. But for now a fill costs $10 and a rental is also $10... and I don't have to pay for hydro and vis.

The only thing I haven't bought yet is tanks. Maybe when I can dive any time I feel like it I'll buy some. But for now a fill costs $10 and a rental is also $10... and I don't have to pay for hydro and vis.
Fills at my LDS are $0.20 per 100 psi. They're the only ones in my area like that. Everyone else is $8-10 per "fill" regardless of volume filled.

The problem I have with tank rentals versus fills is less about the actual cost and more about the logistics involved. It is about $20 to rent a tank with air, but then it is 45 minutes to the LDS, the same back, and repeat the next day to return it. That's 3 hours of driving for 30-45 minutes in the water, and a significant portion of the way to what I would spend to buy a used tank and get it hydro'd and get the valve replaced.

But you still need to get it filled... so you still have a drive...
Compressor is possibly in your future:wink: but watch out it's a slippery slope...

But you still need to get it filled... so you still have a drive...
Compressor is possibly in your future:wink: but watch out it's a slippery slope...
Difference is, I can get it filled when i go to town and it can sit there, full, waiting for the opportunity for weeks or months, and not need to go back the next day.

I actually have access to a 6000 psi compressor, just need to buy the adapter for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom