How much IP Creep is acceptable ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In addition to inspecting the piston knife edge, you can get two different hardness levels for the seat. Harder will last longer and need more cycling to set, and the opposite of the softer.
You could also swap springs between the two for additional verification.
Are you shimming?
Being that it stabilizes IP lock overnight is beneficial.

I'd dive it, but that is my personal choice.

Ozzi,

Good advice from the Usual Suspects. However, before throwing a bunch of parts at the problem, do a sanity check of your IP gauge. Install it on a known good first stage using the same inflator hose to rule out any anomalies with gauge.

Couv,

I checked IP on three Conshelfs a MK10, and two MK5s. The Conshelfs all had solid lock ups (135 psi) and no creep observed. The MK10 was definitely in need of service as it would creep all the way up to 160psi. One MK5 was good and the other was questionable which was the reason for me posting here. This is the one I use most as well so I guess I can keep using it till the creep gets worse. No long trips for this one.

You really should put the rig UW to verify that it does actually "lock up" at 150 rather than just go into a slight freeflow from one of the 2nds resulting in the appearance of a lock up on the guage. Do not submerge the IP guage. That is almost surely what you Mk10 is doing.

You really should put the rig UW to verify that it does actually "lock up" at 150 rather than just go into a slight freeflow from one of the 2nds resulting in the appearance of a lock up on the guage. Do not submerge the IP guage. That is almost surely what you Mk10 is doing.

You mean put the MK5 underwater ? The MK10 I just took apart. So you think I should chexk the 2nds? I do not "hear" any freeflow.

Am not sure I understand what you are describing but it does sound intriguing.

Put the second stages under water. The leak may be very slight, you will not hear it.

With such a slow climb, I suspect there is probably a very small defect in the seal ultimately resulting in a very slight freeflow. If I aqm wrong and it truely is locking up, you couyld remove a couple shim and give that a try. But probably not worth the effort unless you lack parts. If it is a slight FF, you may have to do a lttle work on the piston knife edge.

So you think I should chexk the 2nds? I do not "hear" any freeflow. Am not sure I understand what you are describing but it does sound intriguing.

Ozzi,

The idea is to see if the second stages (one or both) are acting as pressure relief valves. Sometimes, and this is what we suspect, the IP will climb to a certain point causing the second stage to "burp" away the excess pressure. This could cause one to believe the IP is locking up when in fact it is not.

Immerse the second stages in water and look for a slight freeflow or more likely, an occasional burp of air.

Back
Top Bottom