how much protection is a dive skin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

avpoh8

Registered
Reaction score
Will a dive skin protect you against minor cuts under the water? Will it keep a jelly fish from stinging you? Thanks for any help.

I always wear one with my shortie.....a number of times in the Dutch West Indies I have seen...actually heard...other divers complain of stingies....I never felt them.

Skins are one of the few things in diving that dont really cost that much and are well worth it...in my book.

If you brush up against something sharp on a wreck it wont do much for you .....but then neither will a 3mm if you hit something sharp hard enough

rich

For thermal insulation, worthless.

For protection from jellies and sunburn, great!

Like Rich, I wear one under my W/S on boat dives. During the surface interval I can remove the W/S, stay cool and keep from getting sunburned at the same time.

Now if they would just make one for my bald head . . . no, my Doo-Rag :karate: is cooler !!!

the K

Kraken, You bring up somthing I have never thought about before. If the water is clear can you get sunburned under water? :06:

great for protection from sunburn and stingy things, or to help slipping on another suit. Not alot of thermal protection, but a little - it does "mute" the feeling of hitting the cool water.

I don't know . . . :33:

If I remember correctly, the majority of the UV rays are reflected at the water's surface and can't penetrate to do any harm.

Anyone ??????

the K

Minimal UV exposure underwater.
A dive skin is more for protection of jellies and such rather than thermal.

They can help prevent stings, but they can also trap nematocysts, so remove the skin before rinsing with fresh water.

I am defianly not looking for thermal protection from it. Just to keep from getting stung by jelly fish and maybe keep from getting cut if I bursh against somthing.

Back
Top Bottom