How much should a woven hammock cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hammocks come in all prices because they come in many sizes, string counts, and materials. Personally, I have always used cotton-string hammocks. If you take care not to nap in them with clothes that have buttons and don't snag the strings and make a hole, they will last for twenty years or more (of course, that is not with sleeping in them every night). Today, those cotton ones are hard to find; most hammock weavers use synthetic string now. Long ago, you could still find henequin hammocks, but I haven't seen one of those for ages. Those will last forever, but they are not as soft as the cotton ones.

The sizes are tricky. They come in "doble matrimonial," "matrimonial," "individual," "grande," "mediano," and "chico." I always use the doble matrimonial; you can sleep in it and wrap the excess around you like a blanket. The string count is really important. You will not find a hammock for sale on the island at a store that has a decent string count. A high-quality hammock should have a brazo (the strings looped through the woven part that ends in a loop) with over 200 strings gathered at the ear (oreja). The crap hammocks they sell to tourists in Cozumel might have 80. To really relax on a hammock, you need to lay on it at a diagonal, and if the string count is too low, that is hard to do.

There are several guys in town who make and repair hammocks. They can make one to order, in the string count, size, and material you want.

To wash it, tie strips of cloth around the stretched-out hammock and just put it in the washing machine. Hang to dry (do not use a dryer!)

Incredibly, Cozumel is now importing "Yucatan" hammocks from China to sell to tourists, just like the lace tablecloths and sweaters they swear are handmade.
Can you refer us to some of the people who make/ repair them?

Walk down the square after cruise ship leave See one you like. Offer them 1/2 that price, walk away go to next store. You won't make it far.

That's why they ask 3x the price.

Can you refer us to some of the people who make/ repair them?
Not offhand. Sometimes guys will walk up and down the streets offering to do hammock repair. Occasionally you see a sign in front of a house in the barrios offering hammock repair.

Got this one about 10 yrs ago. :) If you factor in inflation…
image.jpg

Got this one about 10 yrs ago. :) If you factor in inflation…
That is a great example of a "tourist" hammock. You can see right away that the weave is very loose because there are not enough strings. Attached is a photo of the brazo of a hammock made with a decent amount of strings. It makes a BIG difference in how comfortable it is.

Attachments

• hammock.jpg
    hammock.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 44
That is a great example of a "tourist" hammock. You can see right away that the weave is very loose because there are not enough strings. Attached is a photo of the brazo of a hammock made with a decent amount of strings. It makes a BIG difference in how comfortable it is.
True. I wanted one to look pretty, not to sleep in every night.
It seemed that the OP only wants one to use relaxing on a balcony for a week or two, and not to sleep in every night. Would a higher end ‘real’ one be necessary?

Hi @ggunn

What doesn't Blue Angel have a hammock for you any more?
They do, in fact. The guy I was emailing with just could not promise It. All is well

I didn't even reply to this thread and I have hammock adds from Amazon on the left and right!!! There's even one up top!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom