How much weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

artsprite

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been diving without a wetsuit, and now I'm getting one. I've found that 6 or 7 lbs. of weight in fresh water is enough without a suit, and I need a suggestion as to how much more weight to wear with a 3mil. farmer john type suit. Any suggestions as to where to start? :confused:

I will skip all the usual stuff about "weighty" issues and cut to the chase. Boy, is that out or character.

I have tried science and empiricism on this issue and the latter seemed to have worked better (I got great grades in differential equations, but arithmetic was tricky at times.) . In part, the answer depends on what the dive circumstances are, but the most complicated is probably diving from an ocean-going boat; so, I will describe the technique I use there and you can modify it to your "swamp cabin" or whatever.

If you use, 6 or 7 lbs w/o a wet suit, try 12 lbs with a 3mm suit. However, put 4 of that 12 in the form of a 2lb and 2-1lb wts in a BC pocket. Now, hop in the water and try a buoyancy test: i.e., let the air out of your BC and try to descend. If you go down like a rock, put air back in your BC and put 2 lbs back on the boat. Now, try again. If you still descend like a rock, put one of the 1 lb wts back on the boat and repeat. And you should be done, but you can always dump that last 1 lb...however, you will be at 8 lbs, just 1-2lbs over your non-suit wt and I do not think that will come to pass.

By the way, when I am using a new suit, I go through the same process, but if I would be holding people up by going back to the boat, I just leave the 2-lb wt at the anchor or mooring point and pick it up on the ascent.

And you will discover that as your suit compresses with age and you get more experienced, you will need less wt. So do a buoyancy check every so often as you do more diving.

Hope this helps....

Joewr

Thanks Joewr,
I'm willing to bet that 12 is going to be a little too much, but I'll take that much with me. I was kind of thinking 10, so you've helped me a lot by suggesting about the same thing. I can easily take some little baggies of lead shot to play around with. Ha ha ha, don't make any weird comments about that one!!! I have vinyl pouches made for that. Join us in one of our swamps some time, but only if you play well with others.

Are the "others" alligators? I don't play too well with them. And probably you should have read what I wrote in response to Fishkiller's thread on "Winterizing" before you issued the invite.

Never-the-less, I do play well with others! Especially "scuba-others".

Joewr

Ok, be that way! But I'll still issue the invite. You're welcome in my swamp anytime. I think the water will be a little chilly for your candy a__ though. That's why I chose now to get a wetsuit! Why don't you come to our Halloween Dive and try it? I promise there won't be any alligators there.

And us Texans are proud of any Texas type reputation we get. (I hope my fellow Swamp Divers don't mind me including them in that statement!)

I'll keep it as short and to the point as I can. Start with an extra 5 lbs. and go from there. Just my .02:doctor:

I see one of these threads questioning weight, I keep looking to see if it is a weight lose thread or one of those "How much do you weigh" questions.

BTW non of your business or most likely more than you .hehe

Butch :peace:

artsprite

Like you I wear 6 when I'm not wearing a suit - or when wearing a shortie. I progress to 12 for a 5mm, and more as the suit gets thicker.

Jower offers excellent advice. On how to try out adding the extra weight. Leaving your weights behind at the anchor is the ideal way if you're already on the boat. However, try going out to the pool with your Dive Center, and practice there - that's what I did.

Have fun...

Stone has a good point! I you are diving with an aluminum 80, you should bear the bouyancy shift as the tank empties in mind.

Back
Top Bottom