How Often Do You Abort Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had a 150' dive planned for this morning on the wall at north Monastery Beach south of Monterey. I was up half the night with insomnia and after evaluating my mental condition I called the dive five minutes ago. I don't have the mental acuity this morning that's required for the dive tasks and I'd much rather call the dive and disappoint my dive buddies than have them deal with the aftermath of my dying while diving because my head wasn't in it.

Not really an "aborted" dive but worth repeating anyway.

-Adrian

Ooop. Just remembered. I did abort a dive in Bali when my camera flooded...

That reminds me of another...flooded a camera diving off Mabul island in Malaysia. Right as the mandarin fish came out to mate...worst timing ever! I thumbed it in hopes of saving the camera. I should have just stayed in the water.

I've aborted exactly 0% of my dives... But then, I only have two dives after OW and both went well. lol I wouldn't hesitate to abort a dive if I felt I needed to though. Or maybe I should say I won't hesitate when I feel I need to, because I'm sure it will happen.

I plan to abort one of my dives early this spring. I dive with my 12 year old son and I want to thumb a dive due to "not feeling it" before he does. I'm hoping once I've set the example of pulling out early just on a "feeling" he won't hesitate to thumb a dive later if he isn't feeling 100%.

Other than that planned 'abort', we've only come up a few minutes early due to cold (diving wet in fresh water lakes in Canada in October).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only once for me, back in my undergrad me and my buddy had a few too many lemonades the night before having met some ladies of questionable character (much like ourselves) we partied the night away. Dive next morning was to 10m, aborted 25 mins in, my buddies first comment at the surface "I hope there are no bits in my reg".

Of course this kind of behavior isn't advised, we where stupid, but hardly the most dangerous thing we did as undergrads!

~4 out of 800ish come to mind. A Nubble Light dive when we geared up then decided conditions sucked too much plus all sorts of little stuff was going wrong before we even got in the water - instead we wound up helping people out of the water who had gone in before things turned bad. (Could have been us in there, but we got delayed when one of the group forgot their weight belt and had to go rent one.) A Folly Cove dive when a (rental) hose blew on the beach, so we swapped regs and 3 people went while one sat out each dive. One someplace I don't recall where we were told there was a nasty current. And one during descent to the Duane in the FL Keys that was turning into a CF. Probably a few others I don't remember. Also had a first stage fall apart once on a boat I think in Grand Cayman when turning on the air, but found a reg to borrow.

I certainly have never regretted thumbing a dive, I have regretted NOT thumbing a dive however.
ditto. There's probably a few times I wished I wasn't in the water - especially 2 I should have thumbed due to congestion where I experienced reverse blocks, and one where I was scared and REALLY wished I wasn't in the water and bailing wasn't a viable option. Was hard to know that last one ahead of time, though in hindsight maybe not.

One out of 35, so far. Well, two if you count a runaway ascent from 40 feet to 10 feet on my second dry dive...

As vacation divers, we rarely hit bad conditions. So 3 active aborts out of just over 700 dives. Too much current twice and once my dive buddy burst a hose.

But I pro-actively abort the second afternoon dive each day on a live aboard as it conflicts with my nap time.

We sometimes also pre-abort a dive if one of us is feeling a little tired or under the weather. We can always cram 5 dives in tomorrow if I skip my nap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom