How often do you dive "dry" year round?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dry most of the time, except for a few weeks in late August in the St. Lawrence River when the river temps get into the mid 70's. Then I'll dive a 3ml with hood. Even then, after a two-dive day, I'll get cold if I don't switch to my drysuit for the next day's dive.

I'm with RJP on this one. TLS350 for cold water and my 30/30 for warm water.

Wouldnt have it any other way. Wetsuit is used as a backup only and for pool use.

J

Two dry suits, used year round, depending on location

DUI TLS350 trilam dry for "cold" water
DUI 30/30 tropical dry for "warm" water

Wetsuit? There's one in the house here somewhere. Just haven't seen it since I bought the 30/30.

30/30 has been used in water up to 85F with surface temps in the 80-90F range and never been too warm. DUI needs to get more people to try these suits, because they would sell every one they could make if they did!

In NJ, mostly dry but will switch to a 7MM jacket/john in Aug/Sep if reports indicate bottom temps >60. However, on deeper dives, >80', always dry. The wets are easier to don, doff and dry and there's LOTS less stuff to transport. I really hate carrying anything more than absolutely necessary. As for dry in the "tropics", I find the appropriate wetsuit, be it 2MM or 3MM shorty, 3MM or 5MM jumpsuit with a hood added for the 3rd and following dives keeps me toasty.

Umm.. How is there LOTS less stuff to transport if you dive wet?
As far as suit goes, best case scenario if you use 7mm is suit, boots, gloves, hood and worst case if you dive the same water dry is suit, boots, gloves, hood and 2 pieces of not very thick undergarment?
Or if you plan a little, that undergarment youre already wearing. That makes don jum into the suit and zip up, where if diving wet you would have to undress first and of course, dress again after the dive?

Umm.. How is there LOTS less stuff to transport if you dive wet?
As far as suit goes, best case scenario if you use 7mm is suit, boots, gloves, hood and worst case if you dive the same water dry is suit, boots, gloves, hood and 2 pieces of not very thick undergarment?
Or if you plan a little, that undergarment youre already wearing. That makes don jum into the suit and zip up, where if diving wet you would have to undress first and of course, dress again after the dive?
I should have emphasized that my preferences work for ME. My dry is a Bare 7MM, back zip, hard boots and neoprene seals. It fits likes it's customized but I dislike needing help (back zip) and the neck seal is a little challenging to get just right. I dive wet in NJ during the warmer months and the two piece 7MM gets the job done and I can get in and out of them much quicker than the drysuit, undergarments, etc. Also, I'm much more comfortable topside in the hot sun during that short surface time in the suit. I can fit all my gear in two bags when wet but need three with the drysuit. It's also easier to clean/dry the wetsuit. The undressing and dressing pre/post-dive consists of doffing/donning a T-shirt.

The wets are easier to don, doff and dry and there's LOTS less stuff to transport.

Nope, nope, nope, and nope.

I was challenged on don and doff speed on a recent trip to Hawaii, and I donned and doffed my drysuit in the same amount of time or faster than everyone else on the boat with their wetsuits. In fact the only guy that was close was skinny fellow of about 120lbs and was wearing a wetsuit that was at least two sizes too big for him

As for saying that a wetsuit is easier to dry than a dry suit? Well that's just plain silly. I can step out of the water, shake out my drysuit, and it's ready to be packed into a suitcase. How many hours (days) does it take for a neoprene wetsuit to dry fully?

On the "LOTS less stuff to transport" part, I guess if you are counting the drysuit hose you might be correct. My tropical drysuit and undergarment take up the same amount of room in my suitcase as a full 3mm suit. (And as mentioned above, it's dry when it goes back into the suitcase.)

I was challenged on don and doff speed on a recent trip to Hawaii, and I donned and doffed my drysuit in the same amount of time or faster than everyone else on the boat with their wetsuits. In fact the only guy that was close was skinny fellow of about 120lbs and was wearing a wetsuit that was at least two sizes too big for him

As for saying that a wetsuit is easier to dry than a dry suit? Well that's just plain silly. I can step out of the water, shake out my drysuit, and it's ready to be packed into a suitcase. How many hours (days) does it take for a neoprene wetsuit to dry fully?

On the "LOTS less stuff to transport" part, I guess if you are counting the drysuit hose you might be correct. My tropical drysuit and undergarment take up the same amount of room in my suitcase as a full 3mm suit. (And as mentioned above, it's dry when it goes back into the suitcase.)

I have to agree with you on that.

My wet took a lot more space (14 mm (7mm + farmerJohn) + gloves + mitts + hood)
My DUI TLS is much more compact, dries in seconds (except the feet which are in neoprene, like wetsuits). Of course there is the underwear but during cold months, I wear it on the way to the lake anyways.

Wetsuits are not quicker to don when you are used to donning your drysuit. Of course, when it's - 20C (-4 F) at the surface, it has to be quicker to doff a wetsuit but more because it's rather unpleasant while with a drysuit, you can take your time :)

Re: "Nope, nope, nope, and nope." You're completely wrong. I don/doff MY wetsuit faster than MY drysuit. It takes longer for MY drysuit to dry completely than MY wetsuit. MY drysuit & accessories take up more space than MY wetsuit & accessories. I find it easier to doff/don MY wetsuit than MY drysuit.
BTW, you didn't really participate in a donning/doffing contest did you? And on the off chance that you did, what were the circumstances that led up to the "challenge"?

Re: "Nope, nope, nope, and nope." You're completely wrong. I don/doff MY wetsuit faster than MY drysuit. It takes longer for MY drysuit to dry completely than MY wetsuit. MY drysuit & accessories take up more space than MY wetsuit & accessories. I find it easier to doff/don MY wetsuit than MY drysuit.
BTW, you didn't really participate in a donning/doffing contest did you? And on the off chance that you did, what were the circumstances that led up to the "challenge"?

I guess you have a neoprene drysuit then. That would explain the bulkyness and the fact it takes more time to dry. a trilaminate drysuit (or better, a vulcanized rubber one) is much faster to dry.

I guess you have a neoprene drysuit then. That would explain the bulkyness and the fact it takes more time to dry. a trilaminate drysuit (or better, a vulcanized rubber one) is much faster to dry.

Yeah, I'm one of those few that went the big fat 7MM neoprene way with those big bulky hard boots beaucoup years ago. I really like the suit once it's on since it fits like it's customized but being a basically lazy SOB the donning/doffing hassle annoys me. Maybe I'll look into compressed neoprene/tri-lam/vulcanized rubber (is there that much of a difference in benefits between these types?) suits this winter. I'm a little leery of the latex seals, though, for fear of a skin reaction.

Back
Top Bottom