How often do you go on a California live-aboard?

How often do you go on a California live-aboard?

• I have not gone on a California live-aboard and am not too interested in going

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • I have gone on a California live-aboard and am not too interested in going again

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • I think I am good for one California live-aboard trip a year

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • I think I am good for two California live-aboard trips a year

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I think I am good for three or more California live-aboard trips a year

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • I have not gone on a California live-aboard, but I would like to

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • I have gone on a California live-aboard, but I wouldn’t say I go regularly every year

Votes: 5 9.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob9000

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am curious how much of your diving is done on a California live-aboard (Truth Aquatics, Peace Boat, Horizon Charters, etc.). For me, live-aboards are great bang for the buck. I've done two trips on the Horizon out of San Diego and two trips on the Vision out of Santa Barbara. I am doing another Horizon trip coming up in May, and I am interested in trying the Peace boat later in the summer.

My goal is to do three Channel Islands trips per year. I've been on all three of the Truth Aquatics boats and every trip has been terrific, even when conditions are less than great. The crew on these boats is friendly and professional in every way, and they look after you and your gear in ways that I have grown to appreciate after diving on boats other places around the world.

My only improvement suggestion would be to add on-board nitrox.

I haven't been on Peace yet and am looking forward to a trip with them sometime.

I LOVE truth aquatics!!! They are the only boats I've been on two-four day trips, oh, and the Escape, but they went bust ;(. I've spent several leave dock at midnights on the sundiver, peace, and Pac Star. They are my other fav boats.

This last year is the first year I hav only done one two day trip. Hope this summer I'll make up for it!

Yeah it seems that of the people from the Bay area who have gone on a live-aboard, most have gone on one of the Truth boats since that is what most of the dive shops around here book. Some shops are opting for Peace.

My preference is for the Horizon, but it has been a while since I have been on a trip with them...so this next trip will help to see if my memory serves me correctly. Since my last trip with them they have updated the boat with Nitrox...they also have the ability to make water. There are some other reasons too...like I have a hard time boarding with a swim platform, so I prefer boats with ladders.

I am really looking forward to this upcoming trip...we are going a day early and doing a wreck alley trip in the morning before boarding the Horizon. I intend to at least take some top-side pics and post here. Just because your LDS doesn't book a boat doesn't mean you can't go on it...I booked this trip through a San Diego dive club that I have done two trips in the past with.

I want to go on a Peace boat trip just to see what it is like, even though it looks like they use a swim platform.

I'm lucky that I live within 10 minutes of the Santa Barbara harbor so I typically do day trips. I also do one 2-day trip per year.

Yeah it seems that of the people from the Bay area who have gone on a live-aboard, most have gone on one of the Truth boats since that is what most of the dive shops around here book. Some shops are opting for Peace.

I want to go on a Peace boat trip just to see what it is like, even though it looks like they use a swim platform.

I lived in Orange County when I went on the truth trips. I like the peace for a one or two day - the hot tub totally rocks. The platfoam on the peace works well. You can swim up onto it, and the crew takes your fins off for you. Then you climb up the ladder. Much less struggling and post dive stress. IMO, Vision is the best for several days. Of course, both boats have amazing crews.

Some of my diving friends are a bunch from San Diego that sponsored a trip on Conception that I booked myself onto simply because it was when I could go. I ddin't know anybody. They made me feel welcome and we had a great time on that trip.

Imagine how much fun it was to run into the same group at Scubaclub Cozumel a few weeks ago!

Of the truth boats I prefer either Vision or Conception. they're a little bigger, have private indoor (out of the wind) shower stalls where you can change into dry clothes, and 3 heads. This can be a significant plus when the boats are full.

Hey, I love those Truth Aquatic trips...limited load especially. I think it's the best bang for your buck around. You don't have to fly. The boats are nice and big. The food is always tremendous. Staff is top notch. Bunks....OK, let's skip the bunks. But it's a great time out down there. And relative to Monterey, it feels tropical in my 7mm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom